Don't buy a PS2 or Xbox

…now. According to PS2.IGN (via Homelan Fed), the PS2 may be cut to $99:

PS2.IGN has posted up word that they have received news from a source inside Target retail stores that a price drop for Sony’s Playstation 2 console to $99 is set for mid-November. The article, however, seems to put its own sources down as they claim other retailers and a Wall Street analyst have not yet indicated such a price drop is coming.

You can be sure that an Xbox pricecut will follow a PS2 pricecut. So hold off buying for a month or two and see what happens.

Maybe if it happens, the Cube will be cut to $79! Then maybe I could get a used one for $50. That would be cool.

Wow. At that price I’d be really tempted to pick up a PS2 and an Xbox.

Take back your old PS2s to EB while they’re still giving $99.

I don’t normally keep up with console stuff, but is this an indication of a PS3 and/or XBox 2 on the horizon, so let’s clear inventory? Or would this be your basic console price war?

At $99, I’d be tempted to grab one of these babies up.

Pretty much price war. If Half-life 2 can’t come out of nowhere to hit a release date six months in advance, you can bet a console couldn’t do anything quicker. Right now all I know about Xbox2 and PS3 is that they’ll be made someday, and I think both groups have announced partners for development (MS with ATi this time is the only one I remember). So no new consoles any time soon.

Now that I think about it, if this turns out to be true, you could pick up a PS2, an Xbox and a GC for the same price as the Nokia N-Gage. :shock:

No chance. We still have to see the Ybox (normal sized Xbox) and the PSX (PS2 v.2 to be very confused with the PlayStation 1) before we see the PS3 and XboxNext or whatever fancy names they’re calling any of those.

From what I’ve heard surmised, the move is perhaps store specific (in this case, Target), in order to clear out the blue box PS2s. In other words, Target wants some big door-buster Thanksgiving sale.

Target would take an $80 loss per unit? I guess I could see that if it was a “only 20 PS2s available per store” kind of sale. Target usually issues rainchecks, though. I could see customers being pissed if they don’t get a PS2 or a raincheck.

I’m waiting for MS’s hand to be forced into slashing the XBox price so I can get one for Ninja Gaiden, Otogi, Panzer Dragoon and Shenmue.

too late… bought a ps2 a long time ago…

That’s the kind of sale being talked about; a clearing of the old boxes to make way for the new. Of course, this is all speculation on the part of other forumers; and we know where that gets us (. . . . megaton . . . .).

I doubt Sony would go to $99.99 that fast. They can probably hitch up sales by going to $149.99 before going down to $99.99 and rake in that extra $50 for awhile. If the Gamecube sales continue to stay high at $99.99 then Sony might make a move. If they fall back below PS2 sales but aren’t threatening, they won’t slash it by $100 that fast IMO.

I’ve seen this Target thing before and I suspect it’s something Target related only or maybe even just someone’s wishful thinking.

Also, that PSX thing, the DVD-RW/PS2/TiVo thingy, is going to be like $700 when it launches in Japan. Definitely not a mass market item.

–Dave

No chance. We still have to see the Ybox (normal sized Xbox) and the PSX (PS2 v.2 to be very confused with the PlayStation 1) before we see the PS3 and XboxNext or whatever fancy names they’re calling any of those.[/quote]

Yep. The PS 3 isn’t scheduled to hit the market until 2006, last I checked.

I can tell you this because it’s public information: The launch date for Nintendo’s next next-generation console, codenamed N5, is Q3/Q4 of 2005. The European launch is planned for 2006.

Are you agreeing or disagreeing? Up to your definition of soon I guess. Where’d you find that out though?

It’s been mentioned in a number of articles that Nintendo is planning for 2005 as the launch date of all next-gen consoles including their own.

–Dave

No chance. We still have to see the Ybox (normal sized Xbox) and the PSX (PS2 v.2 to be very confused with the PlayStation 1) before we see the PS3 and XboxNext or whatever fancy names they’re calling any of those.[/quote]

That’s assuming there will be a PS2 V.2 or an smaller Xbox. I really see no reason why either of these makes sense. If the size or the design of a console is the number one reason you are buying, you most likely are the most casual of gamers.

That’s assuming there will be a PS2 V.2 or an smaller Xbox. I really see no reason why either of these makes sense.[/quote]

I agree on the Xbox (seems unlikely they’d just release a smaller version), but the PSX the previous poster mentioned is already on it’s way, no? PS2 + PVR + DVD-RW.

Yeah, here we go:

The PSX is a completely different type of device though and will retail for $700. These people are talking about a cheaper to produce but also smaller version of the current consoles.

–Dave