Don't Starve

This sounds really cool. I have zero disposable income right now, but if someone finds themselves with a gift copy they have no need of I would be appropriately* grateful.

*no sex touches

I LOOOOOVE this game.

If anyone is looking to get this game you might try to go to this part of Klei’s forum where people are trading their extra copies for things. Also I have an extra copy from Morberis and I’ll be trading that out to someone who’s willing to come in here and screenshot up the place with impressions. I will be doing so soon as well.

also if you want to try the game first and use Chrome, you can go to this link and try a 15 minute demo.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CDoQjBAwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dontstarvegame.com%2Fplay.html&ei=hIWoUOW9B7HwiQKXt4A4&usg=AFQjCNEdH0ZEcClgLrEapFBezNdKjCZNpg&sig2=aOgEdZYMg0DA-CB0L06ilg

Pictures? Pictures? Man I can take all sorts of pictures.

Does this game have enough content to worth playing at the moment or is it like towns where it sounds interesting but is VERY much a work in progress?

I liked minecraft, but this one doesn’t seem to have the depth of creation is more of a survival game. The video reviews I’ve seen make it sound like they haven’t got beyond the “ok, now I’ve survived for a while, now what?” stage.

Well, it is still not a final release so you can always hold out until they ‘finish’ the game. I haven’t really looked into what they may be adding in the future. I’m getting enough fun out of it for now.

Oh no! I didn’t even think to use a campfire like that. I did try to hit him with a torch, but that turned out to be a bad idea. The next game, I spent a lot of time planting pinecones for each tree I chopped down, thinking that the big tree happened due to some sort of negative nature karma (apparently not).

For anyone starting out, Game Directory - Klei Entertainment Forums has some good early tips without spoiling too many things. It turns out that you don’t have to murder the pig village :P

From what I’ve played, it’s much more finished than Towns is right now, and also less “bland”. Part of this is because they are very different games. In Don’t Starve, you can get a lot of fun out of playing blind and discovering how the world around you works. If I give X to Y, he does Z. If I hit X with Y, Z happens. If I drop food near X… If I set X on fire… If I eat X… If I put A, B, C in a crock pot… Why would I want to shave off my beard?

On the other hand, I’ve seen people read up on the optimal way to play the game, then build enormous self-sufficient camps that they never have to leave in order to survive. I suppose they also get less out of the game.

This looks fascinating - snagged!

Ok - this is top.

Noooooo, don’t make your home in a pig village like that newby guide suggests.

I had just returned with new materials for my armor and materials for a crock pot when the villages started chasing me. I could only kill so many before being taken down, they never stop chasing aaaaarg. 2 islands later this delightful fellow murders me.

It was working out so well too. I’d farm birds in there, murder a pig every so often and then I’d be set. Spider nests to the north that I’d planted complete with killing ground, grass crops & twig crops to the side of the village as well.

I’ll happily trade a The Ship key or a DOTA 2 Beta key for a spare Don’t Starve key.

OR

I’ll write you a 16 line poem in the style of Dr. Seuss about your exploits in any game of your choice.

Wilson’s my game and science is my game, except well I seem to be in a bit of a pickle. Alchemy machines and sulfur and things don’t, well they don’t really seem to agree with me. And well now I’m in a little bit of a pickle, stranded in a strange land by the demon I happened to summon. Say no to sulfur and alchemy kids.

… So I don’t have my gizmos, my fantastical whatsits, or my hairballing machines. I suppose I could eat a carrot, but without my hairballing machine WHAT AM I GOING TO DO??! It all seems to pointless, unless… unless.

Oh my god it worked, this device on my head just might be able to save my sweet sweet skin from sunburn. Not as well as my hairballer mind you but, good enough.

Now, on to more pressing concerns. I think I saw a pulsing wet pile globular objects over there. Time to poke it with a stick. SCIENCE!

… SCIENCE!

Lets try this again shall we. I see you, yes you with the big teeth. You’re mine.

Uh hu, uh hu, shake that booty now. You ain’t bitin’ this money maker.

Could anyone, in Haiku form, tell me what this game is?

Not starving; Yes;

So, so many bee hives. I want to burn them. I have this urge to burn them.

[Editors note, all the photographs were destroyed in the ritual burning of the bees]

WHAT KIND OF BRIDGE IS THIS!! You think you find a way off an island and then suddenly you’re at a four way. The only thing worse would be a traffic circle.

Ok so lets see here, tentacle infested swamp to the east. Not really into that sort of thing, not judging if you are, but I’m not so I’m just going to avoid that all together.

Dense forest to the north with some kind of god pig or king pig ruling… a pig village. Ok I got this that oks, perfectly understandable.

WHAT IN THE… I don’t. I did not just see a pig turn into a wear pig, kill another pig, eat him, and then attack another pig. This isn’t happening.

Don’t ask how I did it, science is what I’m going to tell you, using logs and uhhh grass I have rebuilt my alchemy machine. Side note, notice my lovely beard? So soft.

Aaaand nothing. -_-

That’s IT. I’m gone, I’m out. Enjoy yourself.

There has so be some way off this damn island, I am not going to spend another minute here.

Ah, I see something in the distance a village. More pigs? Maybe living there wouldn’t be so bad.

Ah. I see.

Not sure what to say to the images of grenades that are in the dirt. This isn’t the first one I’ve seen.

Ooooh this is a good, a graveyard with a pig overseer? I think this is another time for… SCIENCE.

Ghosts, for SCIENCE! Don’t think too hard on it.

See I told you, SCIENCE! Because science is a pressure cooker with a tree stump sticking out of it right? SCIENCE!

Oh my dear, their eyes are glowing but they’re not attacking me. They are… not ghosts. At least I don’t think so. Nor do they want to eat me.

I think I might have to cuddle up to one, for warmth, yes warmth. Anyway, goodnight!

• This is by far the biggest world I’ve explored. Maybe I just missed the bridges on other worlds but they always seemed to be the basic 4 biomes. Here I had the basic 4 island but then after that weird areas with biomes mixed up, small swamps in dark forest etc.

I also think I’m getting rather done with the game for now. I don’t really see where I can go from here that’s fun. I’m already tech’d up thanks to that graveyard, thought I already had most everything purchased thanks to my monster meat farming in spider dens. Before this island I only had 2 items purchased, so in around 20 days I’ve acquired almost everything. We’ll see, no idea how you tame a buffalo yet. Click on my map for a bigger version.

By the way - if you ever find yourself wondering ‘what does this do?’ about something in this game, the answer is ‘it kills you.’

I like this game a lot more than I thought I ever would. Anyone know if they’ve talked about stuff to come? Their ideas for end game?