Doom (2016)

Wiki:
Doom (stylized as DOOM and originally known as Doom 4) is the upcoming reboot of the Doom series by id Software following the release of its last title, Doom 3, in 2004. It will be released on Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One in 2016. After years in development with almost no news from id Software, it was restarted completely in 2011 withBethesda Softworks serving as the publisher for the game.

I have been playing the Doom Alpha on my Xbox One. I have to say that it is actually pretty good multiplayer action. It has fast gameplay which makes it a lot of fun. Not sure what the staying power is, certainly better than Star Wars Battlefront, which is a little disconcerting…

Wow. I got an irritating spambot check before I could make this post with a CAPTCHA image. What is up with that?

FYI DrDel: the Doom Alpha is under NDA, so you’ve actually agreed to not discuss it here.

I am not sure I am in the mood for more monster closet madness. Doom was good because it was the first game of its kind, however, it wasn’t all that good of a game. The more recent doom games have proven that point.

I don’t think I can play a pure (singleplayer) shooter anymore. I’m secretly hoping this thing will have some rpg elements, as blasphemous as that sounds.

You forgot Doom II DeepT. That was the game in the series with truly excellent design. It still holds up. I played it last year (or was it earlier this year?) when it was a selection for the Qt3 Classic Game Club.

Doom II is terrible (well kind of. It’s still Doom and very similar to the first game in some ways). I replayed Doom last month with my kids in split screen co-op goodness on the XBox One. We enjoyed going through all the episodes.

The following week, we moved on to Doom II. We played through a dozen or so levels and were utterly bored of the completely ridiculous design with massive levels filled to the brim with boss monsters rather than grunts. Killing 20 demons and 20 minotaurs and 20 mechanical spiders in a level is a grind, not fun. Especially when every single level seems to be designed with the more boss monsters is better mentality. We gave up and decided not to finish it.

We much preferred the more parsimonious use of those in the first Doom.

Might be just us though.

Wendelius

That’s the way it is for me. I need solid progression mechanics or else I quickly lose interest. I know it makes us sort of outliers.

Pistols at dawn, my good sir.

Me and my boys play Brutal Doom II all the time. It does hold up, and is still pure fun.

Wen—Doom II wins because of one thing.

Double Barrel Shotgun. Often imitated never duplicated. Still the greatest weapon in FPS history.

Fallout 4 has spoiled me. In between fighting baddies, I want to establish settlements. In Hell.

Lining up the perfect SSG swingshot in deathmatch (or later, ZDaemon CTF) to lower pellet spread and secure a one shot kill might still be my favorite feeling in competitive FPS.

Yeah, Brutal Doom is awesome. I played SO MUCH Doom II - it was the first PC game I bought (in fact, it was playing Doom at the computer labs at college that made me want to buy a PC, which led me to my current career - I owe a lot to Doom II, specifically).

I loved Wolfenstein, and I had a lot of fun playing some Doom III here not too long ago - I actually think a single player shooter is just the ticket right now - there hasn’t been one in a year or so and before that it was a genre I’d ignored for whatever reason. I say bring on Doom 4 - I’m ready to love again.

You’re thinking of Fallout 5: New Jersey.

Or…Detroit.

You and me both.
Gonna show my age here…
One of my single fondest memories ever was playing Thresh on Dwango5m3 shotgun only set to 100 frags.
I got totally destroyed. I was grinning the whole damn time tho.

Now it is crazy that I’m playing with my spawn, and the game still holds up. Of course the youngest running around with Brutal doom whacking the taunt ‘fuck you’ key doesn’t seem to get old for him. Really, it’s like playing games with Beevis and Butthead most of the time.

nah

Tim

I hear ya. It can be tough, but if I recall correctly, most of those kinds of levels are setup so that you easily get friendly fire between the groups, so they end up killing each other for the most part and that leaves you to take care of the rest.

Plus, the extra difficulty and the Super Shotgun are the reasons why I felt so much more engaged in Doom II compared to the first one. I go back and forth between being a laid back casual gamer for some games and wanting an extra challenge in others, and I’ve often been an advocate here of games “pushing back”. Well, Doom II was the first case of me getting super engaged because a game pushed back pretty hard. In a much more interesting way than the first Doom did. Like with the monster who can hurt you if he has direct line of sight. Plus just the different combination of new and old monsters that were used in much more interesting ways to force players out of their comfort zones. I got bored with the lack of gameplay variety in the first Doom, but thought the second game really kept it fresh level after level.

And of course, there isn’t really a level with 20 minotaurs (Cyberdemons?) and 20 spiders in it.

He. I didn’t count them. But it sure felt that way in some of them. :)

I think part of it is that we played it as a pure co-op experience. And that’s not where the strength of that particular game lies.

I was actually wondering while playing whether we were playing some kind of expansion pack more focused on boss fights. But I’m pretty sure it was just the way that game is. It felt less an evolving story and more like silly level after silly level.

I’m not too surprised to be the odd one out on that though.

Wendelius