Doom (2016)

Ok, I must return to the thread to admit that it was I, in fact, who was/is dumb. The checkpointing, whatever, maybe it hosed me with the field drone the first time, but after playing through the first part of the level like 4(!) times now, I can tell you the elevator did not lock. I just confused it with the elevator right above it which is always, as far as I can tell, locked. Ugh.

Yeah, I’m on the third level and having fun. I upped it to Ultra-Violence because Hurt Me Plenty seemed too safe.

Hell Knights, man.

Super Shotgun stuns them.

Don’t have it yet. :(

Yep, got it. Those praetor upgrades to the “navigation” system are gold. This is great. Having fun.

Man, I bounced off this game pretty hard when the demo first came out, but I’m finding it a good rush this time around, whew.

Opening that thing out is satisfying enough, let alone before you pull the trigger.

That’s the best rune in the game you should really try to get it!

If you can get Rich Get Richer rolling along with the rune that gives you armor on glory kills, you can pretty much chaingun down most encounters. Bust out rockets and the gauss rifle for any mancubus that spawns.

Just reinstalled this. See y’all on the other side.

I finally reached a rune challenge I’m not at all sure I can do, the one where you have to stagger three Hell Knights with the heavy assault rifle and then perform a specific glory kill on them (death from above). Oof.

Good luck. We’re all counting on you.

Oh, good tip! Maybe I can do it…

I did do it, thanks to your tip. The trial with the imps and the not being able to move was way more annoying thanks to the super shotgun being the weapon you have to use and its reload times (don’t have it fully upgraded yet)

Oh no! I have had zero technical problems, but the checkpoint system continues to annoy. Yesterday I did the very annoying in-flight mobility rune and quit after. When I loaded it back up, the challenge was incomplete! I was standing right in front of it, though, so it knew I had been there, I guess. After several more attempts I got it, then I died to some enemies, but the rune remained done, so I have no idea how this game is keeping track of anything. I hate checkpoints. Let me save when I want, god damn it.

That sucks. I had about 5 crashes during the final sections of Doom Eternal, which is crazy because up until that point it had been rock solid.

Yeah, that kind of thing is infuriating!

That’s a terrible bug to just leave unfixed.

I was going to comment on your Steam review and basically say ‘Based on some of the things you’ve said here, I’m pretty sure you’ll love Eternal!’. Particularly:

“Some of the later levels feel much like later Doom 2 levels in spirit, one brawl after another in interconnected maps, I wish there were more of those.”

“This greater degree of movement isn’t just for exploration but a key part of combat if you want to survive.”

My problem is I want more Doom Eternal!