Doom classic - Sourceports, WADs, and MODs

Exactly. And most of the time, you’ll want to select Doom 2 in the dialogue that comes up.

And where’s our thread on HDoom

Or use ZDL:

This?

https://zdoom.org/wiki/ZDL

Yes, I don’t remember if I picked the first or second link

I seem to have a problem with it. I dragged the exe and pk3 files to the mods thingy, and the wads to the wads thingy, but whenever I try to launch a thing, it says executionable not found.

With zdl you don’t drag the doom executable. First you have to do a initial setup:

Click general settings:
imagen

Click on + sign on the left tab to add whatever .exe you want: (the most popular one is GZDoom)

Click on + on the right tab to add the iwads you want (a iwad is the main wad from the commercial game, the doom.wad, doom2.wad, heretic.wad, hexen.wad, etc)

Now on the main launch tab, this initial setup allows you to select what sourceport (executable) and what iwad you want to play:

And on the left side you add whatever level or mod you want. Doubleclick on turn them on/off. The external files tab will admit all types of files for Doom

but I noticed one exception: it’s able to load zips with wads inside, but not zip with pk3 inside. So unzip them first.

Oh that’s very helpful thank you!

Oh that looks great.

So I think so far the reason I am myself enjoying Brutal Doom is because I can right click to look down the sights of many weapons. Do any other mods have that functionality?

@TurinTur I don’t know how you find time to play all these, let alone anything else. This stuff really deserves its own blog, but it might actually have a higher readership here. :P

Most of them won’t have them because well, Doom fans usually search the opposite of using ADS.

Well, some of them can be pretty short, like the last one, which was a single level done in 40 minutes.

One of the things I like the most of playing Doom is how immediate it is. I double click it and I’m playing directly, without no loading times, cutscenes, logos, anything. And of course there is no stat grinding, looting, dialogue, anything that would make the experience slower. Hell in Doom you can get close in speed to a rocket :P. So you can play a lot of ‘real game’ in just 4 or 5 hours, you basically can play an entire episode or even two in that time, while in something like AC Valhalla the first 4 or 5 hours would be the prologue.

But seriously, sometimes I feel guilty of playing Doom while I have bought games pending to be played lol. /looks at Divinity 2.

Speaking of, here it’s a new one :P

Hell Ground is a Cacoward winner from 2009, and it shows. Despite having 12 years already, it doesn’t matter, because it’s all about tastefully using new resources, like a great use of the Alice soundtrack and heavy use of custom textures that combined with GZDoom lightning, it really enhances the moody, almost survival horror-like atmosphere. Add the solid gameplay, hard but that never falls into slaughter, and it’s very recommended.

At 7 levels, it’s short enough to be played in two days. The second level was somewhat weaker than the rest. It has a strange 6th level that is super short with a single but obscure puzzle, but it’s worth doing at the seventh level is pretty good.

(I’m playing with Doom 3 weapons here, but that’s a separate mod)

I saw a headline that Romero is working on Sigil 2 for Doom II. Which reminded me, oh yeah, did anyone here play Sigil for Doom II? Is it good? How do you get a hold of it?

You can grab it from here:

It’s for Doom, not Doom II. He said he’s working on Sigil 2 which will be for Doom II.

Or… You can play Ultimate Doom through Steam and click on Add-ons.

Then, just select the supported mod to download it.

Viscous Realms
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/122883-idgames-viscous-realms-a-new-boom-format-map-for-doom-ii/
~550 enemies, no slaughter fight but a few intense areas, it starts with average difficulty but after the first 1/3 it gets harder, I had to repeat a specific fight a dozen of times. Around 90 minutes of play time with the retries, although there is a secret with BFG that makes the player have to explore all the level, find some switches and teleporters, in an almost puzzle-like fashion. There is a decent variation of fights, and it looks great, too, as you can see, good use of OTEX.

(Here I’m playing with enemies of Project Malice mod, they go well with the Gothic, dark theme of the level).

You have finished your replay of Quake? Yeah?

Ok, time to come back to Doom.

Redemption of the Slain is a GZDoom map, although beyond a door that opens horizontally and the colored lightning, it doesn’t do anything super special. Very nice detailing though, in some parts. It’s a big map, but to be honest it’s like two maps put together, as there is a transition between them in styles. Normal difficulty, and more run & gun style, punctuated by satisfying moments of carnage. It’s really super linear, as far as i could see. I only got the SS until 2/3 of the total progress so that’s something different. Lots of secrets too.

Grotto of the Scorned is the map I’m playing right now. It’s somewhat challenging, the author recommends HMP. 700+ enemies, it has some freedom in order of the areas to play, and there is a some variety of layouts, with a predilection of narrow fights.

You’re ambidextrous!

This mod looks interestingly amusing, I am tempted to fire up Doom and give it a try.

This is a thing someone has made…

Golden Souls 2 was very good, but I never played the first one…