Doom Eternal - Hell on Earth Returns

I’m guilty of relying on shotgun whenever possible. But I do this in every game, DOOM 2016 just gave me the best shotgun (with mods) combat ever to indulge.

All of this. I blame Doom 2, ironically.

Usual reminder that not everything needs to be balanced. I don’t remember the Doom 2016 super shotgun so I don’t really care if they change it. But don’t let any modern game designers near Doom 2.

I never got tired of glory kills. Forcing players to be aggressive with their movement was so smart. And I liked that it let me play a bit sloppy since I could keep my health up. I played through on Hurt Me Plenty difficulty.

The DOOM 2020 developers have some very definite plans for balance, as well as forcing players to play their way. But they justified it; their metrics and experience says the way they want us to play is much more fun.

@Scotch_Lufkin reminded me in the Nintendo Switch thread that this is only a month away! Woo! Time to keep an eye out for good pre-order deals and decide which platform to get it on.

I played through Doom 2016 on Xbox One, but my almost-3 year old son has really started hogging that Xbox. He really hates it when I play games instead of watch youtube videos with him on it.

So maybe PC this time.

15 Days left!

(Thanks for posting that, that sounds awesome).

Official specs:

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
MINIMUM:
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Intel Core i5 @ 3.3 GHz or better, or AMD Ryzen 3 @ 3.1 GHz or better
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (4GB), GTX 1060 (6GB), GTX 1650 (4GB) or AMD Radeon R9 290 (4GB)/RX 470 (4GB)
Storage: 50 GB available space
Additional Notes: (1080p / 60 FPS / Low Quality Settings)

RECOMMENDED:
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Intel Core i7-6700K or better, or AMD Ryzen 7 1800X or better
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (8GB), RTX 2060 (8GB) or AMD Radeon RX Vega56 (8GB)
Storage: 50 GB available space
Additional Notes: (1440p / 60 FPS / High Quality Settings)

I wonder how it will run on my system. I have the i7-6700K, 16 GB RAM, but only a GTX 970. I play at 1080p.

I’m below minimum on the CPU, as usual, but minimum specs usually overstate how much CPU power you’ll need. But I do have 8GB RAM and a 980 Ti, so I figure that means low quality settings for me? Damn it. Maybe I can get away with mix of settings. I played Doom 2016 on Xbox, but I think I want this one on PC. I wonder if they’ll release a Windows 10 version so that I can earn Xbox achievements on it?

For comparison, 2016 required:

• Intel Core i5-2400/AMD FX-8320 or better

• 8 GB RAM

• NVIDIA GTX 670 2GB/AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB or better

Seems like a substantial performance bump. Also interesting that 2016’s recommended requirements stayed at 8GB RAM and Eternal recommends 16GB.

You’ll be fine, but you won’t be on the max settings if you want to prefer frame rate over fidelity (hint: you exactly want to prefer frame rate over fidelity). On a mix of Medium/High, if I had to guess, you’ll hit 1080p@60 pretty reliably.

It’s the idtech engine, so it’ll scale down to a potato and still run great. Amazing performance with vulkan.

A small trailer, the music is new

@robc04, I’m looking to be enabled to order this soon if you can find me a good deal on it like you somehow magically do.

The best I’ve seen is 16% off at GreemManGaming, so no big deals.