Doom Eternal - Hell on Earth Returns

I got him on my second try! Thanks for the good advice.

Yes, nice work!

Just about to finish Arc Complex, heading back to do the Slayer Gate with 2 extra lives, full health and armor, and some extra upgrades. The Marauder miniboss went down easily enough, didn’t seem any harder than on Ultraviolence. What’s hard, however, is the first secret encounter halfway up a skyscraper which spawns a cacodemon, pain elemental and arachnotron, and a fairly strict time limit. I didn’t manage that one on UV, although I could have come back to it later in the game.

Yes, I remember this one being tough on UV. I think I charged my ballista blade before activating the gore next to give myself a head start!

Well, I destroyed the Slayer Gate with the loss of only one life, and beat the secret encounter in seconds. Rocket lock-on killed all three, didn’t even take any damage. I guess the fear of it was worse than actually doing it.

Next up, Mars Core, I loved this mission last time around.

Mars Core was mostly great. Got the Slayer Gate after half a dozen attempts, the Marauder wasn’t the problem, the two Barons were. Also, I keep forgetting to use the BFG! I got another glitched encounter failing to register all the kills too. I guess I don’t need the extra weapon point but it’s annoying.

Gladiator Boss wasn’t really any harder than Ultraviolence. The plasma rope hits a lot harder, but you just have to not get hit by it! I used the slowdown rune which helps a bunch. Also, I discovered you can launch yourself out of it with the meathook! Handy. Still, the second stage took a few goes before I got it.

The first Archvile on Taras Nabad went down much more easily this time, are you ready for your close-up now Mr A. Vile? (ouch, that’s tortured) Now I’m trying to figure out how to get that sentinel battery which I missed last time.

I know the battery, dear God. That was the hardest in the game to find, so hard in fact, that I spent the best part of an hour looking for it before crumbling and checking out a guide. Good luck! :-D

I appreciate the challenge, the secrets are much easier to find in this game than Doom 2016. Maybe they didn’t want to break the combat flow too much but I like the diversion.

Also, my vote for most useless suit upgrade goes - by a mile - to the one which shows the automap devices on the map. There’s not a single one that isn’t in plain sight!

D’oh! Really? I think that might have been the first upgrade I got.

The one on Taras Nabad has been the most hidden so far: it was around a corner, but shows clearly on the map without a single exploration upgrade anyway. But if it’s any consolation, it’s the first upgrade I went for on my original playthrough, so I got duped as well! The upgrade that shows where all the items are on the map is really the only worthwhile one… on the first playthrough at least.

The best upgrades are all the traversal ones.

I finally found it, but only because I found the one for the secret first, totally by mistake. This is the only place I’m aware that uses that particular technique. Once I found that one, I went back into the previous arena and found the same technique used there as well.

The Slayer Gate on this mission is damned hard on Nightmare! I finally managed to take the Archvile out within the first few seconds, and then needed several attempts to deal with the rest of the shit that it throws at you, which included needing two BFG shots. BFG ammo is much harder to come by compared with Doom 2016, so in the next arena I’m trying to beat it without using up the single round it offers you. Haven’t done it so far, but getting close (it throws an Archvile at you right at the end of the fight).

Damn, Taras Nabad onwards is where the game stops fucking around on Nightmare. Each major encounter is a nail-biting fight for survival, usually taking several attempts to get through. I’m not sure if Nightmare actually adds more or different types of demons, but everything hits like a train, so best not get hit. There’s no way in hell I could do this on Ultra Nightmare (permadeath). That requires superhuman abilities.

I’m on Nekravol now, near the end of part 1. Got seriously stuck for a while on the sequence where you have to destroy the judge’s eyes while platforms in the lava rise and lower. Finally did it by prioritising which weapons to use in the right order, and now the game is throwing all kinds of shit at me. Still going though! I can do this…

Incidentally, I forgot to mention this a few levels back (Arc Complex). Not my screen shot, it vanishes after a couple of seconds, but a cool little easter egg that gave me a chuckle.

I see I’ve reached the point in this thread where I’m talking to myself, but that’s fine! I am going crazy.

Up to Urdak now, and finally Nightmare has cranked things up to 11. Or perhaps 12. I’ve reached the point where I’m aligning the rings, the first one wasn’t too hard, but oh man the second one is just smashing me. It throws so many heavy demons at you, you need the BFG to clear shit out for survival, but I’ve got no ammo left. There was one ammo pickup which I wasted on a much easier fight, so I’m restarting the mission so I can save it up instead. I think it’s the only way I can get past this! Trouble is, there’s another fight for the final ring which is just as intense, but at least that arena is easier to navigate. BFG ammo in Doom 2016 was given away like candy; you could even get a perk that randomly dropped it from fodder demons. Not here; you need to fire that thing strategically, or life gets hard.

By the way, can I just take this opportunity for a moment to pause, reflect, and say FUCK bethesda dot net for disconnecting EVERY 5 MINUTES. Seriously, this must have happened about 50 times during this Nightmare playthrough, and it is never not a pain in the ass. The other problem is the crashes that take the entire operating system down and reboot my PC! Had about a dozen of those. Nice.

I’m still reading, krok! Got my fist clenched in the air and I’m looking down at the ground in solemn support of your struggle. (Among others.)

I was, uh, bored.

Nice. Nightmare I assume? I might try that afterwards, I love fighting the Marauder. It would be an interesting challenge to take him down with each weapon. Also, combat shotgun no mod. ;)

I took a night off last night, I need time for my brain to create new neural pathways for Urdak.

Nightmare indeed. I wanted to see if this was possible with a sub-30secs time to kill. It took quite a few goes to get a kill this smooth, almost entirely because he kept shielding up due to incoming friendly fire from the two trash mobs that spawn and we’d just end up dancing in the middle of the room.

I, too, am still listening to your crazy talk!

Finally back to where I was before, except now I have one shot in my BFG…