Doom Patrol (tv)

He is, in the comic, pretty much exclusively a Doom Patrol villain. For the TV series they amped up his powers so now he is not only powerfully insane, he is insanely powerful. Tudyk is perfect for the role and was the highlight of the series for me.

Tudyk is great in a lot of roles, I wish he got more work.

“I am a leaf on the wind!”

So, we have made it through 5 episodes, and we are quite enjoying it.

I’m just a bit puzzled about just how much these characters and the show are a rip-off of Marvel characters. I mean sure, in this many years of the two companies competing, there is a ton of overlap, but really? These four are a pretty blatant ripoff of the Fantastic 4: strong, tough dude, fire girl (plus a bit of Legion thrown in, they should call her “Swiss-Army-Knife Deus Ex Machina Girl,” rubbery woman and nobody knows electrical guy who never actually helps anything.

Throw in the Charles Xavier wanna-be. And then throw in a Constantine character these past two episodes.

It just seems to lack subtlety.

I didn’t get Fantastic Four vibes from it at all.

Well no, the F4 would at least be a tiny bit competent.

Constantine is also DC not Marvel BTW, but your confusion just shows how much cross ripping off there has been over the years. Thanos was created as a copy of Darkseid for instance.

Oops, you are right of course. He was a Swamp Thing creation (Alan Moore, IIRC).

Goddamn is this show good. I’d held off, for not having seen Titans, which turns out is not necessary at all.

Nine episodes in, just finished Jane Patrol and this is really working for me. Love the commitment from the actors to rolling with the level of crazy this show is throwing around.

Over the last week or so I’ve binged everything available on HBO Max, which it seems is all but the very last episode of season 2 (which was not released due to COVID halting production). I hope they eventually get that, but even without it, this is an amazing show. I read a lot of the Doom Patrol comics in the 80s and 90s, so for me this was as much a nostalgia trip as anything else, seeing a bunch of those characters come to life. And I knew going in just how weird things were liable to get. It’s hard for me to separate the nostalgia from the show on its own, but I think I’d enjoy it regardless. The characters are really well written and acted, they’ve done an excellent job of playing up everyone’s strengths and weaknesses, and they truly embraced making things strange.

There was something they labled Season Finale, and I just assumed it was deliberately a cliff-hanger. Was there supposed to be another?

Supposedly there was a 10th episode that got cut off by corona lockdowns.

I’m almost to the end of season 1. It’s one of may favorite shows in the last couple of years. As Mr. Nobody said, it’s 13 episodes of character-driven schlock and I loved all the characters.

But mostly Cliff.

You might want to think about ramping things down a bit at some point, so that you can avoid hitting the 9th episode of Season 2 for now, which is effectively a big cliffhanger (due to Covid). I kind of regret powering through the second season, now. Great show, though. Hopefully they’ll greenlight another season and fix that.

Where can a US-based viewer find Season 2?

Currently you are able to watch “Doom Patrol - Season 2” streaming on DC Universe or for free with ads on Rooster Teeth. It is also possible to buy “Doom Patrol - Season 2” as download on Apple iTunes, Google Play Movies, Vudu, Amazon Video, FandangoNOW.

Also, HBO Max has both seasons.

I finally watched Episode 3 (Season 1). Each episode feels like movie in terms of the amount of stuff it has in it. It’s stuffed to the gills! I like the show, but it’s such a dense watch.

I really like the feel of the show. It’s dripping with that pseudo-clean american-dinner-the-60s feel combined with a kind of sparse empty world with very few extras. It’s almost like the story has our heroes, and almost no one else. Like we’re looking into their selfish minds and seeing only them.

An excellent description, and yet…you aren’t even there yet. That sense just keeps getting deeper and deeper.