Doonesbury: BD Wounded in Iraq

Anybody else following this? For those that don’t know, BD has been seriously wounded in Iraq. Reading the various stories around the web it’s easy to find the outcome. SPOILER BELOW

This will easily be the most controversial Doonesbury series since Mark Slackmeyer came out and maybe since Nixon resigned.

SPOILER

One of his legs is blown off.

I guess a head injury was out of the question.

There are no Ford SportKas in Iraq.

I wonder if Nike will still sponsor BD after this.

The dude’s been wearing a helmet continuously for the better part of 30 years. That would be a little unfair.

The dude’s been wearing a helmet continuously for the better part of 30 years. That would be a little unfair.[/quote]
I think that was the point.

I may well be wrong, but isn’t this the first time we’ve ever seen B.D. without his helmet?

First time without his leg, too.

Yeah, I had filed that one under “obvious”. :D

I have no doubts that he’ll pull through, though. I mean, they’ve already stopped the bleeding.

How long does it take a comic character to respawn anyway?

I think if they were planning to kill BD that would have been the news story that broke the other day, as opposed to “Doonesbury character to lose leg in Iraq.”

I’m just saying a femoral artery is pretty big and it’s good that they plugged it so quickly, because otherwise it could be messy.

Didn’t Trudeau get some nice recognition when he had a character Andy die of AIDS in the late 80’s? Maybe this series will get him back into that sphere.

Yeah, that was pretty moving, especially Andy getting his dying wish of having Capitol finally release Pet Sounds on CD, and him getting to hear it.