DOTA 2 Auto Chess: When a strategy game mod goes wild

Icefrog (the lead developer of DotA) originally approached Blizzard about developing DotA as a standalone game. Blizzard said “no thanks” so Icefrog ended up at Valve and DotA 2 became a thing. Meanwhile Blizzard made Heroes of the Storm, and we know how that turned out.

So yeah… Blizzard definitely missed the boat.

0 Likes

I have never played Dota 2. I’m a League of Legends person myself. So I wouldn’t know.

But if that’s the case, great news! Looking forward to a few matches then.

0 Likes

Yup, just installed it to check. It’s a custom game and you can matchmake or create a custom lobby.

0 Likes

This is a lot of fun - definitely worth checking out even for non-DOTA2 players.

0 Likes

If you create a custom lobby, you’re always the host, so you can lock and launch instead of waiting for an alt tabbed host.

Anyway the game is a deck builder been playing the hell out of it.

0 Likes

I finally won my first match yesterday with a 6 warrior + 3 dragon strategy.

I wonder if this enough legs to inspire a stand alone game at some point like DoTA.

0 Likes

Started playing this weekend. It is very addicting and like what others have said I too wonder if it has what it takes to become a stand alone game.

0 Likes

The real RNG in this game is finding a game without cheaters.

0 Likes

cheaters? how do you cheat in auto chess?

0 Likes

Stuff is client side.

I’ve personally seen gold-locks (rerolling while money doesn’t change). I’ve seen reports of free rerolls and lots of tier 4 units when they shouldn’t be able to. There sub is filled with complaints today.

0 Likes

Disappointing, was just about to actually go check this out but dealing with hacks doesn’t sound terribly fun.

0 Likes

If you’re starting out I don’t think it’ll matter enough to ruin figuring out the game mechanics.

Competitive play is messed up right now though (probably on the Knight + ranks).

0 Likes

Well looks like all you need to do is make a little noise for the devs to come out with a fix in under 24 hours.

Today’s patch has gold-report summary, and apparently, a cheater-detection mechanism.

edit: So more drama, they got Amaz and other streamers banned. Apparently the hack tool makers got pissed and decided to troll.

edit: This looks like the way to ban ppl.

0 Likes

Game seems to be working again, the devs are saying they are under attack by hackers.

0 Likes

The fun and depth of the mechanics is so good it keeps me playing through all the bugs and problems getting games started.

Finally I have some handle on late game and managed to win a few matches.

0 Likes

You gotta get lucky to win, but you need skill to recognize that you got lucky in the first place. Also managing luck intuitively, kinda like bloodbowl.

0 Likes

I started playing this today and can confirm that it is very addictive. It doesn’t seem like it will be at first, seeing as how so much of the game is hands off. Yet once you play for awhile it gets its hooks in, and I think for two main reasons. The strategy is multifaceted with just the right amount of rng, and it makes you feel like a kid. It gives you the ‘these toys are mine, I know them well, now they will fight your toys’ feeling that you got as a 10 year old.

0 Likes

I don’t think a game has impressed me this much since EU4. I have been thinking about auto chess while at work the last couple of days, considering staying up late to get a couple more rounds in, and so on you all know how it is when a game is good.

Every time I log into the game it says over 200k-300k people are simultaneously playing the mod, which is (to my understanding) almost half of total DOTA 2 players. The game looks to be fairly simple to program, and I can’t think of any other game like it. You would think, then, that Valve are working with the fellow to turn this into something official and more polished, and that many other companies are already working on their ‘X auto chess’ derivatives. I wonder if there’ll be a thread in Qt3 in 6 months titled “Gentlemen, start your 3d printers! Auto Chess is the new Royale is the new MOBA.”

0 Likes

There’s an official mobile version coming, in Chinese only so far.

https://www.zizouqi.com/

There were some conspiracy theorists saying it was Tencent behind the DOS attacks because they want to make a league of legends version now.

0 Likes

And a warcraft 3 mod:

518 votes and 65 comments so far on Reddit

0 Likes