DOTA 2 Auto Chess: When a strategy game mod goes wild

They’ve said they just completed development of an iOS version, so I guess it will be showing up there in the near future.

Ok, so every time I lose a match, I lose health. But occasionally when I win a match, my opponent does not lose health. Can anyone please explain why?

Your team plays two matches each round. The home game determines whether you lose health or not. The away game determines whether the opponent (who might be different than the one you met in the home game) loses health.

Do you play each other or do people randomly square off against other teams? I thought it was the latter.

Yes, that’s correct. Isn’t that what I wrote?

Yes, I failed reading comprehension.

Got it. Thanks!

Valve is working on a standalone version with Drodo’s blessing:

http://blog.dota2.com/2019/05/dota-auto-chess/

For anyone that plays mobile is the ranking system different than the mod? From what I can tell right now on the leaderboard player’s current rank and peak rank are the same. Finishing 5th in a game this afternoon took me from pawn-1 to pawn-2, and it is like you fill a progress bar to level your rank. In the mod I think after the 5 games or whatever it took my first ranking was pawn-6, Pretty much everyone I’ve played so far has been pawn-1 with a couple pawn-3 players as well, versus routinely seeing knight ranks in the mod. It looks like they give out candy to more players in the mobile game as well with 5th and 6th each getting 1 candy.

This is the best possible outcome. Mostly because it leads to a fully featured PC version. I tried the mobile app and while it is a good implementation, playing these long rounds on a small mobile screen makes Tim something something…

Tried the beta android app.

The item combine interface is good. I like that it will notify you it’s available.

The having to guess what hero does what before buying it is not so great.

There seem to be no hackers. I played ~8 matches and won 6.

I’m loving this to the point of desperately searching in my schedule for more time to play.

I agree, the worst part of the interface is no easy way to get info on a unit before buying. The buying screen is fullscreen with great images of the units and plenty of space to put their stats / ultimates. Luckily it doesn’t take that many games to learn what they do.

I also wish the units’ icons looked more like the units. I’m having trouble telling what unit is at the top of my dps list without clicking on each unit individually to see their icons.

Overall, though, I wasn’t playing Dota Auto Chess because the interface was killing me and this has totally solved that for me.

This game is too dangerous in mobile form. It’s easy to queue up for a game when I’m lying in bed and should be asleep instead…

History repeats itself. Riot games likes the look of that mod…

https://oce.leagueoflegends.com/en/news/game-updates/gameplay/teamfight-tactics

Because I know and love the champions, I think I might spend quite a bit of time on that one.

So that makes at least 3 in development with Drodo’s version that they announced today with Epic Game Store, and Valve’s version that they announced recently.

Re: mobile version, does anyone understand the ranking system? From what I can tell currently it doesn’t look like you can go down in rank only up.

You can go down, when you do really poorly in a match (which I have, unfortunately, learned from experience). It does look like it goes up much faster than it ever goes down though.

I also think your rank is going to be reset each season. Seems like it’s setup to encourage lots of playtime.

Top 4 counts as a win it seems, and it takes into account who you fight with so if you fought with very high levels you don’t drop as much. Standard MMR I guess.

I think I’ve finished as low as 6th place and received both candy and points towards the next rank level. This was down in the pawn ranks, but still odd that they gave points.

I’ve lost rank once so far, I think I’m somewhere between K8 and B1.

That’s good to know. I need to start playing more.

Kripparian has been playing Dota Underlords on his stream this afternoon. It looks pretty good.