Dota 2 Reborn - Valve revamps Dota 2

As a game, I like a lot of it. As a player, I’d rather play Heroes of The Storm. The controls feel better to me and games are faster so I end up feeling like one bad game doesn’t take forever like some dota ones can. There’s things that both do better than the other, but that’s just my personal preference.

I technically play it regularly, but not at all competitively, as I don’t have a regular five-stack. 95% of my games are solo bot matches just to pass the time while, say, watching a TV show or listening to a podcast. The rest are two or three stack queues.

So, I don’t really have any interest in DOTA2 proper (or, to be fair, any MOBA), but I’ve heard that they’ve now incorporated custom games like Element TD, which I played all the damn time back in Warcraft 3 (AKA the last Warcraft game released in the fictional version of reality I believe in to maintain my sanity). Have any of you guys dived into that custom game stuff? How is it? Workable? Awesome? A tragic failure?

It’s pretty great actually, and is very smoothly handled in the client. Many have 10 v 10 modes, which is fun in its own right. I don’t know how big the regular player base is outside the popular ones like Overthrow (King of the Hill, basically) and Pudge Wars, though.

Interesting that this thread gets bumped now. Valve just announced that they are resurrecting the paid modding idea for this game in the form of Custom Game Passes.

Custom Games Passes will be limited to a small number of high-quality games that have established themselves in the community. Purchasing a pass directly supports the creators of the custom game as well as granting you extra features for that game. All custom games will remain free to download and play.

The first Custom Game Pass will be available for Roshpit Champions at a price of $1 for a 30-day duration. While everyone can play Roshpit Champions for free, the Custom Game Pass will enable additional stash and character slots, and offer multiple perks for the duration of the pass.

To put it bluntly, what is the difference between this initiative and the decision to introduce paid mods to Skyrim—a decision that had to be withdrawn?

Valve: We learned a lot from the community’s feedback on paid mods in Skyrim. While it may appear similar on the surface, the system we’re providing for custom games is quite different. There are important details to how it works, and we can walk through some of the community’s most important concerns so you can see how they informed our design.

Yeesh. Making it a consumable goes against everything DotA’s business model has been about. F that.

I don’t mind it. If a modder makes a popular mod that everyone enjoys they should be able to reap the benefits of its popularity.

Just a heads up… The International has started group play today, you can catch a bunch of replays in client or your fav streaming site. The first game of the day with LGD vs. OG was quite good. The main event starts on monday.

For those who have never watched this before nor play DOTA 2, I encourage you to check it out. The prize pool is close to 20 million, very high stakes, and the amount of knowledge you need to start enjoying watching the pro matches won’t take long to absorb. I have only played 2 games of DOTA 2, but have been watching the international for around four years now and consistently enjoy it.

Also the VR spectating client is live. Super frustratingly, it needs touch controllers of some sort to work, so it’s either Vive or combining a Rift with some third party option. I seriously considered buying a Leap Motion just for TI6 but decided better of it.

I wouldn’t worry Ginger_Yellow, it’s not a great experience. There’s a room with a mini-map and a disconnected big screen that makes it more difficult to keep track of the whole game at once then it is just on your monitor.

You can also go into the map and stand next to the heroes as they’re killing each other which is cool for about a minute. Inside the world, there’s no easy access to a mini-map (or similar info) and the draw distance is pretty small so you don’t get enough of a sense of what’s happening to enjoy any of the setup that makes those kills entertaining.

The part that could be cool is that you can go into that room with a bunch of friends and talk to each-other while simultaneously viewing the game and hearing the announcers. Unfortunately, my friends who are Dota fans don’t own Vives (and my friends who own Vives aren’t Dota fans). I think it could be cool next year with more iteration. VR for sports broadcasting with remote friends seems like it has a lot of potential.

PCGamer had an amusing writeup about VR spectating

And yeah, he also got lost a few times.

Anyone else see the alliance vs eg game 1? Such a great match.

Well that made things interesting.

Spend all morning reading about why OG are gonna win the whole thing.

Then, uh, Round 1.

At least there’s Loser’s!

MVP (and comin up Wings) style DOTA is always good fun to watch

At long last, the DotA scene will feel the Korean dominance that us Starcraft fans have endured since, uh, like 2001?

OMG, Pudge and Techies in the same draft.

So much for that.

You got to admire the courage since this isn’t a group stage game. So much money on the line and they risk game 2 like that. I guess it will win them some fans for trying, but they couldn’t even pull off fun plays with them.

EG v Newbee game 2 is pretty epic, if people want to see a really evenly matched game with a lot of back and forth and some amazing team fights and individual flourishes. Nothing quite as dramatic as the defence Secret put up against LGD, but just really high quality play all round.