Doublejump Books Guides

Awesome. The Phantom Brave, Makai Kingdom, and Nocturne guides were the tits. How come you didn’t do a guide for DDS1/2?

The deal with Atlus just didn’t come together, I suppose. You’d have to ask the publisher.

Yeah I am going in this weekend to preorder the Guide and game! I cant wait!

I just got the Nocturne guide from your website and its kick ass!

Heh, I didn’t know someone from DJB posts here. Yeah I own the disgaea, nocturne, phantom, and makai guide. I don’t think I wouldn’t have bought nocturne without that guide to help me. I even bought the special 40$ edition of disgaea guide. I even have a question published in the Castlevania guide. They are now my favorite company for strategy guides.

edit: didn’t notice this post before the disgaea 2 post. Thomas, do you know how to transfer the preorder of the guide, to the deal Nis has going?

pfreak, we’re working with NIS to offer the same deal they are. You don’t need to transfer the preorder, because you’ll be getting basically the same thing whether you order from us or them.

Does that include the deal with the game, guide, manga, and artbook?

I believe so, pfreak.

Just to reiterate, if you buy a game with a Doublejump guide available, buy the guide. These are the only strategy guides I buy, just because they’re so awesome they deserve to be bought. Probably the closest the English-speaking world will ever get to the Ultimania guides from Japan.

Or you could just, you know, play and enjoy the game without minmaxing.

Or you could, you know, support a small company producing quality work in a field dominated by assembly line “just get it on the shelves” bullshit guides.

Your check’s in the mail, Matt.

I’m canceling that check, Matt.

Thanks for bumping this thread, however virally. I’ve been thinking about trying to get back into Disgaea for ages but needed something like your special edition guide to motivate me. I really liked your SMT guide, and I thought including it with the game itself was masterful (that was your guide that came as a monstrous paperback of tiny print, right?). If only you all had been there to salvage other games for me…Brady and Prima have made some decent ones (the former moreso than the latter), but by and large I rarely feel like they are worth half the price of the game. I still buy them, usually, for anything that isn’t like a straightforward FPS, but they are just as likely to end up in my storage unit as anywhere else even while I am playing the game, such as the Oblivion most recently.

On a side note, there are some recent ones that are simply unbelievable. I can’t speak as to the content of the latest Hitman one (I only paged through it at a friend’s house), but whoever told the guy that he should not only introduce himself at the beginning of the book (with PICS!) but also proceed to write the rest of the book in the first person was out of their minds. You guys aren’t going to do anything batshit insane like that, are you?

New Games Guidealism!

DJB guides tend to explain game mechanics better than the games do, and it’s not just minmaxxing. This is probably because they have so many guides for SRPG’s, but still. The Phantom Brave guide really helped me understand the whole fusion system, and made me enjoy the game a lot more, even without min-maxxing.

Well, we did do the first-person fictionalized intros for the Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow guide, but the walkthrough was second-person.

We have no plans at this time to get all King’s Quest Companion up in this bitch.

We have no plans at this time to get all King’s Quest Companion up in this bitch.

I LOL’ed.

I read the Phantom Brave guide and, while very well done and certainly the guide I would have chosen had I needed one, it didn’t explain the mechanics so much as explain the fastest way to take advantage of them. Phantom Brave and the other NIS games are very focused; finding the optimum way to level your characters (and/or weapons) is pretty much the entire game. Spoil that by reading a guide and I have to question why you’re bothering to play the game at all.

Perhaps to engage in strategic warfare against an artificial intelligence?