Down in Flames beta demo is out

Link to download area:
http://www.battlefront.com/products/dif/demo.html

Look at Bruce Geryk’s preview if you don’t know what this is about.
http://www.quartertothree.com/inhouse/columns/166/

Cool, I’ve been waiting for this.

I dowloaded the goddamn thing yesterday (a file called DiF_BetaDemoSetup.exe) and not only did it not install, I can’t delete the fucking file even after a couple of reboots. This is how things would be if Greg Costikyan ran the world instead of just complained about it all the time. Despite the Greg Costikyan joke, I’m actually pretty mad about this.

Now that’s funny!

–Dave

Strange.
Mine worked just fine, not a single glitch.

You have to have .Net architecture 1.1 installed for the game to run.

Will that be the case with the final game or just the demo?

Same problem as Erik, I had to use winrar to extract the setup files from the installer.

That sucks. Maybe post about it to the Battlefront.com DiF forums - http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=35

I have a different problem with the beta - on my main home computer I can’t purchase skills for my online pilots. I can choose them, but when I hit “OK” I lose the connection to the server. I can connect to the server just and play just fine, though. And the computer in my basement which is also supposedly running XP SP2 with .NET on the same network can purchase skills just fine. The programmer even wrote some code to try and specifically track the problem but all he could tell was that I was having data compression issues. I guess making a great boardgame into a great computer game is harder than I thought.

It does say BETA demo though. I doubt the final game will be so earthshatteringly Costikyan as this demo is.

–Dave

It’s 1944. Pierre, a brave French fighter pilot, takes his girlfriend, Marie, out for a pleasant little picnic by the River Seine. It’s a beautiful day, and love is in the air. Marie leans over to Pierre and says: “Pierre kiss me!” Our hero grabs a bottle of Merlot and splashes it on Marie’s lips. “What are you doing, Pierre?” says the startled Marie. “I am Pierre the fighter pilot! When I have red meat, I have red wine!” She smiles and they start kissing. When things began to heat up a little, Marie says, “Pierre, kiss me lower.” Our hero grabs a bottle of Chardonnay and starts pouring it all over her breasts. “Pierre! What are you doing?” asks the bewildered Marie. “I am Pierre the fighter pilot! When I have white meat, I have white wine!” They resume their passionate interlude and things really steam up. Marie leans close to his ear and whispers, “Pierre, kiss me lower!” Our hero grabs a bottle of Cognac, and pours it in her lap. He then strikes a match and lights it on fire. Marie shrieks and dives into the river. Standing waist deep in the water, Marie throws her arms upwards and screams furiously, “You stupid idiot, what in the hell do you think you’re doing?” Our hero stands up, defiantly, and says, "I am Pierre the fighter pilot! If I go down, I go down in flames!!!

A Scottish Battle of Britain ace was invited after the war to talk about his experiences at a posh girls’ school…

At one point in his speech he was describing a dogfight, ‘There was one Focke in front of me and two Fockes behind me.’

The girls started tittering, so the headmistress broke in with ‘Perhaps I should explain, a Focke was a German aircraft.’

‘Aye’ replied the Scotsman, ‘but these Fockes were in Messerschmidts’

Blame ElGuapo - he started it.