Downfall

Downfall

I finally saw this last night but I’ll spare you my vain attempt to sound like a super articulate movie reviewer. It’s a well done movie about final days of the war in Hitler’s bunker - very surreal and disturbing but I highly recommend it if you’re interested in war films.

Netflix has it for rent.

Geeez 115 views and no comments?

Just think of it as Das Boot in a bunker with a bunch of graphic suicides sprinkled in.

Maybe everyone’s too busy watching this awesome movie.

The problem here is that they translated the title from DER UNTERGANG.
I just like saying that.

I saw it a week ago. It´s a disturbing, shockingly realistic, fascinating and surprisingly entertaining movie. Bruno Ganz as Hitler is exactly as brilliant as all the reviewers say. Most other actors are also at least good. Der Untergang is an ensemble movie with dozens of supporting roles, and I can´t single out anybody who was miscast.
Well executed movie which looks much more expensive than it actually was. Just don´t expect popcorn cinema.

Good film.

Also very nutritious fuel for anyone’s inner misanthrope. What often gets lost in the popular portrayal of Hitler as being sort of the Elvis of human evil is that while he was certainly an ugly little broken monster of a person who got used to changing the world by bellowing rants at it, the real ugliness is that he was surrounded by so many ugly little competent monsters of people who enabled all his shouting to do accomplish what it did.

Definitely worth watching.

RIP, Bruno Ganz. He delivered terrific performances in many moves, but is now unforgettably associated with Downfall. How could he have known that it would also spawn countless and hilarious Internet memes to this day.

Dang. Fascinating actor, and fascinating movie.

Oh no, that’s so sad. I remember seeing this movie in late '04 when it came to TIFF. Fantastic movie and great performance by Ganz. The first parody I ever saw was the Microsoft Flight Simulator one and boy did it ever crack me up.

Oh man, such a loss. I really loved him as J.P. the Frenchman in Gillian Armstrong’s The Last Days of Chez Nous. One of the film’s crucial plot developments centers around his partner opening his brie before it’s ripe. In lesser hands, it would be played for laughs, but Ganz really sells how people become attached to little and emotionally invest in objects, and turns a silly scene into something special.

His final role is going to be Terrence Malick’s WWII sniper drama, Radegund., which sounds like a good sign-off for the auteur-friendly actor.

I’m waiting for it to come out as a jpeg.