Downton Abbey

Hey at least it wrapped up one of the plots i got sick of the most. I know it’s a drama but this one couple has more than their fair share. I’m over it. Still enjoy Maggie Smith’s performance though. She makes me smile every time she’s on the screen.

Agreed about Maggie Smith. Loved the way she dealt with Denker (who you just KNEW was going to do what she did with the confidential info.

Related to the Anna/Bates saga

So remind me, why did Anna get arrested last season again? Also, was it definitively proven that Bates didn’t kill Green (the lost rail ticket was whole, and not a stub IIRC)?

I told my wife that they were in production on a Sprat and Denker spinoff. She totally believed me.

Last Season

If i remember right it was something about seeing a woman push him and she’s a woman.

Thanks, Nesrie–in the meantime I figured out why it had happened.

So who thinks Mrs. Crawley will end up married after all by the end of the season? You British viewers don’t say anything.

That or death. It seems like they need some sort of ending for her.

She needs to get married! That guy is nice. Screw her kid, “wah wah, I don’t want a new dad”. SHE IS A TREASURE.

Oh I totally agree. I am just not sure their plan is to give everyone a happy ending. Then again, I don’t watch regular soaps so if that is the usual way things go, I’d be fine with happy endings all around.

Well, I know that people that have seen the season says it does a great job of wrapping up everyone’s story into an “ever after”. Happy or not. (but mostly happy)

hahaha I’d watch that.

I figured that’s why Ozymandias showed up at the end of last season.

Well, tonight’s dinner scene (in the US PBS run) certainly took a dramatic turn. Yikes.

spoiler

I was half-expecting the Xenomorph to burst out of his chest.

Right? The season so far has had a bit of a “victory lap” feel to it, but that presentation was a real jolt.

I got up to throw some clothes into the laundry.

It was just going to be some dinner scene with the dowager countess trying to make a political ally.

Wow.

They are at the body count of Game of the Thrones, but now they are trying to match the gore too? That was some intense shit.

I was at the edge of my seat until Carson got that phone call. What a relief.

It did seem a bit graphic for the show, but it was also surprising. Aside from a few zingers in conversation, it’s been a bit since the show actually did something that surprised me… in a good way. There’s been a few this year.

Wow, I can’t believe that you guys are so far behind and that somehow haven’t had that scene spoiled for you!

This. It has been a good year. They have also done a good job showing the rising tension of the downstairs vs the upstairs. Rising impertinence etc. And just for all their lip service to helping the downstairs, the Granthams can still be imperious sobs. Edith firing the Drews. Lady Mary sweeping in to say you’re old can you do that job (not that I blame her quite frankly. Their swine has been an ongoing storyline and given their lack of lucre, they need to be concerned about prosperity going forward.)

I am impressed how the show has made me like Tom. I quit watching for a few seasons b/c it got over the top awful. Especially when any decision Lord Grantham made was going to be an epic disaster.

And holy cow what a line last night.

You don’t care for a good fight -Dowager to Neville.
"Can’t say that I do-Neville Chamberlain.

Beautiful humor to the PBS crowd!

Those of us in the colonies had to wait for PBS to begin airing them.

Last Sunday’s episode was a long one, with only one more to go (in the US), then Downton Abbey is gone, aaak!

I wish poor Edith could catch a break in the love department, sigh.

I will miss the show. I think there’s a chance that Edith will end up with her guy, although perhaps they want to end the show with her being a strong, independent woman running a business.

They’ve tied up most of the loose ends. Barrow looks like he will keep his job since Molesley will leave to teach full-time. Anna looks like she will have her baby. We still need to see what happens with Isobel and her guy. There seems to be no plot line for Tom.

I believe I read somewhere there is talk of a Downton movie. They may not want to keep people around for that, I suppose.