Downton Abbey

That was peak Mary in that episode too.

We will see what comes of it, as I have a feeling he will be back. There was a lot of foreshadowing for that in this episode, people saying it isn’t over just yet. They are knee deep into the 20s right now, and Edith’s out of wedlock child isn’t as audacious as it would have been a decade earlier.

Though, the parting shot of that episode was sweet. Whatever happens, she will always have Marigold.

That was peak Dowager Countess as well; did not see that one coming.

I don’t see why Edith can’t be with her guy and be a strong woman running a business… right?

Well, being of the ruling class and all, post WW I, and living in a fairly free country, probably.

Remind me? The character is so consistently great I’m trying to remember what stood out. You mean when she talked to Mary?

I agree. I just wonder if the writers want to make a strong statement about a woman being independent of a man?

I just realised that, with you lot having it delayed, the “christmas special” doesn’t really work for you guys, given that Christmas has already happened. So you don’t have an agonising 2 month wait between the final two episodes! At least you get to find out how it’s resolved next week.

There is a 1 week break.

Wait, so we don’t get a new (and final) episode this coming Sunday?

Nope, there’s a Downton retrospective this weekend. They’re milking it a bit.

And Sunday is the Oscars. Which maybe they think is a bigger scheduling conflict than the Superbowl, when they calmly carried on.

Are you sure, TitanTV says it’s new this weekend.

Well, it could be new in the sense that this particular retrospective is a new one, and just happens to show up in the program guide as yet another Downton Abbey episode.
It does make sense that they wouldn’t want to air the series finale opposite the Oscars. I’d bet the Masterpiece Classic website has the skinny.

I work at a PBS station. It is a retrospective this week (you do get a new Manners of Downton though, um yeah?). The last episode airs the week after. The spring pledge drive starts that week so they may have wanted to tie the finale to that. That’s just guess though since I’m a lowly minion in the Sesame Street/Downton Abbey Yakuza.

Well, that wrapped up nicely for all concerned (with the possible exception of perennial pot-stirrer Mrs. Denker). :-)

Yes… that was such an awesome ending.

Neat as a pin, and everything as it should be, which is the soul of the show. I did groan at the “Downton Abbey in the Snow” picture postcard, though.

I’d love to see a series of Spratt and Denker one-offs. This week, Denker’s Rosa Klebb faces off against a most lugubrious 007.

I enjoyed the finale and will miss the show. There’s talk of a movie but it would be hard to pull off since I expect the actors will scatter to the winds with other commitments and would be hard to get together for filming.

They line from the dowager countess “Denker sees herself as Salome dancing circles around Spratt’s Herod” was one of the best in the entire series, and a nice payoff for all three characters.