Downton Abbey

This. A thousand times this. At least the Mary plot finally got resolved- that was the other one that’d gone on way too long, back and forth.

That’ll require a bit of a jump forward in time, then. Didn’t the last episode end at the beginning of 1920?

The troubles in Ireland were about 1920. That would fit. The roaring 20s would probably be fun to watch.

Right. I was more referring to the Great Depression, which, if I recall my history, was kicked off by the stock market crash of 1929.

Here’s my prediction:

• Sir Richard killed Bates’ wife to keep her quiet about Mary. She was trying blackmail him or something.
  • Mary/Anna/Bates find out and…
  • … use that info to bribe Sir Richard into not discrediting Mary or …
  • … get him thrown in the clink so that he can’t discredit her or …

England was fairly depressed after the end of World War I with its massive loss of manpower and struggle to rebuild its industrial output.

— Alan

I feel a bit embarrassed to confess this but since getting into this show I’ve bought a number of books that discuss the English Country House, The Gilded Age and one in particular “To Marry and English Lord” which was a fascinating read.

To make a long story short, in the late 1880s, the English nobility collapsed because of the invention of refrigeration which subjected all those manors to competition from American farmers. These English manors were sustained by lots of tenants who worked the lands. But the coming of competition from the United States caused the income to plummet.

The solution that many English lords turned to were American heiresses. Winston Churchill’s mother was one such heiress. So in exchange for a title (Countess, for instance) the rich fathers of these heiresses would pay massive dowries ($>1 million in 1880 dollars) which would become part of the estate.

That is the backstory for Downton abbey where Cora was an heiress.

After World War I these manors went into steep decline because of the introduction of property taxes to help pay the costs of the war. World War II was the final blow and most of the great manor houses were destroyed between 1950 and 1970.

Don’t apologize, Brad! That’s fascinating.

Indeed. Although I think the industrial revolution may have played a role.

Late to the show but just found out about this at my Dad’s house this weekend. Even my 14 year old daughter cannot get enough of this. Seriously, (or not so), no one writes dialogue like the English.

Just about done with season 1, I have 2 on DVD from the folks, and then I guess I just twiddle my thumbs for the next season.

Hah, I just happened to finish Series 1 last night on Netflix. It’s been pretty compelling so far, even though it’s just a trashy soap opera with British accents.

I have a bad feeling about what’s going to happen to Mr. Bates. I can’t imagine his storyline ending happily.

Season 3 starts in September in the UK, January in the US.

— Alan

You have no fucking idea.

Haa it IS trashy, but the English and Irish accents seem to make it not so trashy…or at least I can convince myself that I am not actually watching the remake of Dallas.

It is trashy, but watching an episode is equivalent to reading one book.

I prefer the blaxploitation version from the 70s, “Downtown Abbey”

Heh.
Maybe in the US. You can’t throw a piece of tiffin here without it hitting at least a dozen costume dramas set in stately homes.

Many of them starring Gillian Anderson apparently…

— Alan

I’m looking forward to season 3
Season 2 kind of felt like a slap in the face after 1. It’s not terrible it’s just not as good.

We just started season 2 last nite. It certainly starts out with some substantial changes.