Downton Abbey

It’s not on in America until January unless there’s another channel besides PBS airing it over here.

There’s also the new butler dude or whatever that looks exactly like the younger version of the guy from The Mentalist.

— Alan

Yes, that other channel is called the internet.

I have never really gotten into torrenting shows and movies. I don’t mind waiting a couple of months to watch it on PBS.

My wife coerced me in to watching this recently. As of episode 3 I was hooked.

If you didn’t already catch it, Colbert’s “Breaking Downton” is magnificent.

Just when I stopped stocking Depends for … comedy relief. That was awesome. I cannot wait to show my wife.

If you’re still in the middle of Season 2 or earlier, skip to 2 minutes to avoid spoilers.

Well looks like Downton Abbey just pulled a classic “Game Of Thrones” level event. Certainly not a happy Christmas Special.

oooh crap, really? I forgot it aired the other day…

— Alan

Better be careful, whole lot of US press outlets bleating out a major spoiler in headlines. Imagine there are tons of PISSED American fans out there.

That was a pretty big kick in the balls, especially for a Christmas special.

‘bad thing’

I guess it boiled down to contract issue. It such a huge loss for the show though since Mathew was the audience’s portal into that world. Trying to understand the old and bring it forward into the new.

Reason

No, it wasn’t really a contract issue. According to interviews, the actor made the decision prior to Season 3 filming that it was time to leave. Explained that he had envisioned it as a three-year gig (it’s Brit TV, remember), and he’s off to do other things. He’s currently in a Broadway play with Jessica Chastain (lucky bastard), and I imagine he’s got a ton of offers. Strike while the iron is hot.

I’ll go watch it tomorrow and attempt to avoid all the sites. Dang now y’all have me worried.

— Alan

Okay yeah that pretty much sucked balls. Kind of a big middle finger right in your face for a “Christmas” special. If he was leaving they had to write him off somehow, but I felt like the third season ended on such a great note, now sullied in the name of another season and actors moving on. Sigh.

— Alan

Downton->EPL converter.

— Alan

Was the Christmas Special (2012) aired for U.S. audiences yet? I can’t recall the 2011 Christmas Special.

If it has been aired in the U.S., does anyone know of a legal way to view (e.g., PBS website)? I couldn’t find any mention of it there when last I checked.

The third season/series of Downton Abbey is just about to start airing in the U.S. The 2012 Christmas special is like a season finale for the third season, so I imagine it will air at the end of PBS’s run.

As it hasn’t aired in the US yet (I think…this only airs on PBS, right? Not BBC America?), there probably wouldn’t be a legal way of watching it here, unless you have an British friend with a licensed TV with a very, very long cord.

It starts tonight, Sunday, here in St. Louis on PBS. I’d guess it’s on PBS all over the U.S. tonight.

There’s also a one-hour special before the two-hour premiere tonight about the castle where Downton Abbey is filmed.

The Christmas Specials are usually tallied as the last two “episodes” of the US season.

— Alan