Dragon Age 4 - Before and after GaaS

I thought it felt like that way after ME: Andromeda was a huge sales failure, that everything was riding on Anthem. And then Anthem was a sales failure too, so I am surprised that they’re still around. The lesson of ME: Andromeda is, I guess, put out a really polished game. Doesn’t matter if the gameplay underneath is good or not. If you have funny looking bugs or voice acting, that stuff will go viral and Dragon Age 4 will fail.

Not the only reason that game failed.

Really? Because I couldn’t go into an Andromeda thread anywhere without having to wade through lame-ass “my face is tired” jokes. Pretty much still can’t.

Yeah and right now you can’t go into a Monster Hunter Game without hearing about a bad joke in a movie. And you couldn’t go into a Doom game without hearing about rape. And you couldn’t go into Spore game without hearing about DRM. And you couldn’t go into almost any Bioware game without someone talking about romance options and inclusion of or lack of sex. These games didn’t fail because people were talking about them. Let’s go find a game we’ve never heard of and see how they did when no one talked about or even played those games.

I enjoyed ME:Andromeda and DA:Inquisition but as some up thread said there was too much MMO stuff along with the actual game. People who played the originals weren’t prepared for all that, especially ME.

I have no idea what you’re talking about. You want to talk about a game that nobody played or talked about? Be my guest. What does that have to do with anything? And who the hell talks about rape in a Doom thread? I have never seen such a thing.

They talked about rape in a Doom topic because there was rape in the game. I mean, you’ve been around video game forums before right?

I’ve been around this one. Can you point me toward the thread where we talked about rape in a Doom game?

Err not Doom, it was Duke Nukem Forever, and that game didn’t fail because people talked about throwing shit, and raping girls, and… well all that other stuff. It failed because it’s a terrible game showcased by the poor decisions people did talk about.

All right, Duke Nukem Forever may have had rape in it, I don’t know the first thing about it. I’m still trying to figure out where this is going - are you telling me that negative press and bad impressions repeated ad infinitum on YouTube and around the internet didn’t affect sales of Andromeda? Because I’ve talked to quite a few people who never tried the game because they heard it sucked, it’s just received wisdom.

I’m trying to tell you if the game was great, weird animations, squatting like walks and horrible initial dialogue would have been overlooked. It’s a worse fate when no one talks about or even plays a game. This game got a ton of coverage, a ton, and if the bugs had been cleared and underneath it was a great game most the Bioware fans wanted, they would’ve been fine. I don’t even know if Bioware even knows who their customer is anymore.

But it’s not as though it’s a binary state, either a great game or a terrible one. I don’t think Andromeda is either. Some may call it mediocre, it’s got its flaws to be sure. But it’s also got a lot of great qualities that were overwhelmed by the more obvious flaws. I think a lot of people would have found something to enjoy if they had tried it, and I think a lot of people never tried it because they were told it sucked.

We are living in a glut of games. I don’t know why anyone need or should settle for a mediocre game when we have other up and coming companies that are doing more traditional RPG that have something exciting to offer. What was Bioware offering that was exciting again, besides just tying it to the existing franchise and then doing something weird with Anthem that didn’t work for anyone?

Hey, it’s okay to like this game. Heck, some people might even love it. That’s fine. I am just saying this game did not simply fail just because they had some animations running around that looked like she was constipated instead actually showing emotions.

What the fucking hell are you two shitheads talking about?

EA is almost done consuming BioWare’s soul. It will soon be added to the Origin/Bullfrog/Westwood/etc pile. Maybe it will be re-animated like Origin in a foul form as EA’s next “launcher.” They could get into the VR business or just peripherals.

Well if you actually read it, you would know I’m talking about Andromeda not failing because some weird animations and poor dialogue choices floated around the internet. It failed because it wasn’t a very good game. It might not have been a very good game because Bioware doesn’t really seem to know who their target market is anymore. If you want to say it’s EA that doesn’t know, fine. Either way, Andromeda didn’t fail because it got some early bad press. If the game was good, it would have overridden that eventually. Even the people who liked the game… their praise was kind of… meh, it’s okay everyone, really, it’s just okay. Who needs an okay RPG when there are a few good ones out there to be had?

I’m not sure I buy that part though. Great games get lost in the shuffle all the time. I’m not going to call Andromeda great, though I will say I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I think it could have become great, maybe if they could have pulled a No Man’s Sky with it, hung with it and expanded on it. I’ll bet they would have liked to have bailed on Anthem too, but I think pulling that trick twice consecutively might very well have sunk them.

And yeah, I know someone’s going to mention that Anthem has the SAAS hooks where Andromeda didn’t, and it probably makes more financial sense to EA to stick with that game instead. I have no idea where things will end up there, though I am curious and will give it a shot. Why not, I already own it.

I’m also curious about DA4 - though it occurs to me I haven’t played Inquisition yet. I should probably get on that.

Often because they’re not talked about, lost in the shuffle. I mean even around here we have how many people constantly looking at, posting about, and playing games. I mean it’s a primary hobby on this very site for more than a few people, and we still, still get those moments where it’s like hey, this game was release? When did that come out? Hey I didn’t realize this left EA, when did that happen.

Andromeda was not overlooked, forgotten nor did it lack discussion. Yes, the earlier stuff was animation and dialogue screw-ups, but at any point more than a few people played the game, heck some even praised it… to no real traction. Even at Andromeda’s lowest point, it was not even close to one of the buggiest most unplayable or even unenjoyable games at release. Hell some of those games even were turned around later and are considered good games now, great games, maybe even a classic that keeps getting brought up like say Paradox older games.

There is not much that can save… meh.

Dragon Age 4 has a little bit of a nose ahead though because I don’t know that DA:I was really hated and more than a few praised the game and kept talking about it during and after play. So there’s hope.

I think what she is saying is any talk is better than no talk at all. If people don’t care enough to bitch about something then you have a problem.

They made More Dragon Age’s after awakenings?

I kid…sorta.

Awakening was the last RPG I actually finished. I never started #2 or #3. I’m ok with that.

I like the Dragon Age series despite Inquisition regions going on far too long with fetch quests. I had no idea of the human toll its development had until the expose and I had friends who worked on it. I am invested in wrapping up the story.