Dragon Age Countdown

My mistake. But why is a sequel using an established engine a reasonable comparison to a new franchise using a new game engine? Comparing DA to NWN or BG1 is more realistic. Both of those took quite a long time for Bioware to complete.

It’s a weird comment, but we can say with almost 100% certainty that it isn’t NWN3. Why? Because EA isn’t going to farm Bioware out to develop for Atari and if a deal had been made before the EA acquisition, they would have been legally required to announce it, as was the case with the vague LucasArts deal last fall.

I’m intrigued by the “NWN” comment, as opposed to “NWN2.” Is it possible it refers to the first game?

Well… we are talking about computer programmers. Sounds like a “slightly late” start to me.

It is a little mystifying that they would put up a teaser for a site update on a seemingly arbitrary day and then not have everything ready to go ahead of time.

Yeah, the whole thing comes across as pretty unprofessional, unless that guy was just joking around. I can see reasons for not wanting to release it until 5PM Eastern time (though they should have been upfront about that when they created the teaser page), but saying them might not do the reveal today is pretty lame.

Well I would highly doubt they would do something like release the first game for free or the source code, so I’m not sure what the heck it could be.

Wasn’t NWN2 done by Obsidian - why would Bioware be announcing something related to it?

Yeah, I’d say all around pretty lame doing it in the late afternoon. Building anticipation is one thing, but misdirecting on the relief from that anticipation is just annoying.

Now it just feels like I have to go to the bathroom, but with my head. And my head is wearing a chastity belt made of missing information. I will take this metaphor further for $00.50 American.

EDIT: Oh I get it, it’s a call to arms, Bioware would simply like there to be more July 9th. Which I have heard is impossible. Sorry dudes.

Heh yeah, 5:15 and nothing. They really aren’t very good at this.

It’s like Bioware wants this game to die. It’s not like they don’t know how to market a game. After seeing the PR juggernaught behind Mass Effect, they obviously know what they’re doing.

Well, it’s about oh, 1523 in Biotown right about now, if I got my timezones right, so still a bit left in their working day.

I commented on Bio’s rather, er, dull way of announcing games in the D3 thread (in reference to DA’s lack of info over the years). Too bad they didn’t take a page from Blizzard. Blizzard’s definitely a company that knows how to hype a product. Edit: True about ME, but I probably missed most of the original hype because it was an Xbox 360 exclusive. PC-port hype isn’t the same.

The Mass Effect hype was pretty much all Microsoft’s doing. Bioware SUCKS THE DONKEY’S NUTZ when it comes to marketing. Lucky for them they make mostly great games which mitigates this somewhat.

I thought ME was bleh as a game, but apparently I’m in the minority on that. Still, I’m very hyped for Dragon Age, as long as it stays a PC-first game. I want a party game. I want another BG2!!!

I’m with you; other than one particularly long and fascinating dialogue near the end of the game I was utterly disinterested by Mass Effect. I felt like I was retreading Knights of the Old Republic’s superbly-laid path with a far more generic sci-fi setting.

A new Baldur’s Gate-like game, though, is an intriguing and very desirable prospect.

So what you’re saying is that Dragon Age is doomed, because Bioware is not satisfying your desperate desire to hear more about it right this second? That years from now, we’ll be shaking our heads sorrowfully and lamenting how nobody played Dragon Age, because Bioware just couldn’t manage to get their press releases out on time?

Perhaps the black smugde on the website is blocking out a question mark.

“More July 9th, 2008?”

“No”

I think it’s quite the contrary. They made BG under BIS wings and never made something as good by themselves.

While this has nothing to do with Dragon Age, this reminds me of Lionel Hutz’s misprinted ad in the yellow pages – instead of ‘Works on contingency, no money down’, should have read, ‘Works on contingency? No, money down!’

There’s a “News at 11: No Dragon Age update yet” joke to be made.

-Julian

There will be hell to pay if it slips into the 10th. X(