Dragon Age: Inquisition

Nah, their idea was to find an artificial draw to bring you back to the game for future play sessions. Send someone out on a day+ mission, and your brain will try to remind you to come back to the game.

All these ‘add on’ mobile/FB games died (galaxy map for mass effect war effort etc.) and it sucks how some of them were not quite integral but had a small part in the overall game experience.

Wikipedia says it was designed by David Gaider but I thought the FB game had some top talent designer like Soren Johnson on it.

As Facebook games went the Dragon Age one was probably one of the best ones I tried. That is not saying much.

IIRC ME Andromeda had a similar Strike system with microtransactions.

I liked the war room. It helped me feel like I was the inquisition leader guy, with agents doing something while I explored. Most of the timers were short enough that they weren’t a problem.

Shards aren’t worth the time.

Similar but much worse because they had no narrative context or relevance to the main game mode (other than being the excuse for the multiplayer from a fictional standpoint). And really astonishingly terrible payouts.

The intention behind war table missions was decent (make you feel like you are in charge of large organization) but all it amounts to is a filler bullshit, like 99% of sidequests in this game, which is a shame.

In other news I got to Kaer Mor… Skyhold and it is kind of crazy how large it is and how many NPCs and what not there are to talk to. I spent like two hours there just talking to people. Dorian is fun.

I’m actually fine with the filler bullshit aspect of the mission table, what bothers me is the artificial timegating in a single-player game without a subscription fee or microtransactions, which makes zero sense whatsoever.

I like the war table, including the few very long missions. It’s fairly incidental, and adds a great deal of immersion for (what I imagine was) fairly minimal development time.

How does waiting an hour aid immersion, exactly?

For me at least, it’s an internal monologue bit. I send someone out on a mission, I go do my own thing, and I get back and either something’s been done while I’m away or so-and-so has yet to return. This lends a superficial “living world” semblance to things. I think it’s a stepping stone on the path to improving Bioware’s hub model of games.

I real life you always have to wait around for stuff. Very immersive making you wait around in a game I’d say.

I just lie in a dark room and murmur “immersion immersion immersion” for an hour while I wait.

Ahh yes, the “make games suck like real life” type of immersion. Like a japanese dating sim where you match with a ton of people but nobody ever actually sends the first message so the matches just expire. Innovative gameplay!

are there any mods/essential mods for this?

Yes, if you install the easy-mode gay mod the game transforms into finding dudes within 200 feet of your current location, sending them a picture of your erection, and immediately having hot anonymous sex. It’s the complete inverse of the base game where you never talk to anyone, but the gameplay is similarly dull due to the complete lack of challenge.

Oh, you meant for Dragon Age? I hadn’t even though to check, I assumed it wasn’t moddable. But in fact that is not true!

“Like”

omg this is so needed

Yeah, I also plan on getting this one.

Buncha filthy cheaters on PC. Back in my day we waited and we liked it!