Dragon Age: Inquisition

I keep meaning to play Dragon Age 2 and Inquisition, but after playing Dragon Age: Origins, I just never had the drive to continue. Nothing in that universe they created really called out to me as being super-interesting. I was never curious about what might happen in the future after Origins ended.

I did like the characters a lot, but the world itself was just uninteresting to me.

I would. Skip any sidequests that are boring you, and unless you’re digging the combat, switch it down to easy. But there’s a lot of cool lore and character writing.

Same!

Sounds like they shoulda played more Daggerfall.

There’s a really weird generic quality to the world that is so mundane…it’s…sort of boring bordering on aggravating because it’s so boring… There’s just nothing fantastical at all about it, it’s sort of depressing actually lol.

The dirty grimdark aspect of it all didn’t do it any favours, at least for me. I’m burnt out on that with Games Workshop.

The Dragon Age setting is nothing to write home about. The only stuff I remember is Mages are prisoners. Elves are lower class. Wardens are…Witchers? But only against one enemy type. Something something about a blight. Retire by fighting until you die in the underdark, which apparently has nigh-infinite amounts of darkspawn. They only get bold enough to surface when there is a arch demon which is a Dragon. Forget the rest.

There is so much cool lore to the setting, especially in Inquisition and especially the Trespasser DLC. But different strokes, I guess.

Aaw man, you left out the dwarves entirely which were super central to the most horrifying thing about the blight/darkspawn. You left out the relationship essentially with demons that even makes the mages prisoners somewhat necessary and of course the templars that guard/imprison them. And that’s before we even get to the Qunari. That’s what i remember just from the one play-through. I was on a second different background with DA 2 came out and just… stopped with that.

Sure people love different things, but it is a pretty cool setting and certain more worthwhile than hanging out in a single city for, forever.

I know there are other details but I honesty forgot. The dwarves are always fighting the darkspawn because they share the same home or something. Balrog situation? All magic comes from demons, so the church controls and imprisons mages in towers? Something like that.

I couldn’t even tell you what the plot of DA3 was. I just remember going around closing Arkham horror gates.

I can’t believe you lot! There’s an amazing amount of lore and history, and it’s all told through unreliable narrators. Finding out the truth behind a lot of major historical events was a major feature of Inquisition, and even then you’re left with more questions than answers.

I was personally just talking about Origins. I haven’t played enough of DA2 or Inquisition.

I’ve started Inquisition 3-4 times and I always stall out near the end of Hinterlands because it’s kind of boring… How much more interesting does it get after that?

The Hinterlands are the single worst and most boring zone in the entire game.

Well I am specifically talking about the Broodmothers.

DA:O actually had a pretty interesting foundation started. I didn’t see it expanded much with DA:2 (which I didn’t finish), and I don’t know about DA:I.

It certainly has an intriguing cohesiveness with how different groups interact with others and why as well as why specific groups even exist.

DA2 's scope means we don’t really learn a ton more about the larger picture (aside from the whole red lyrium thing that I wish they hadn’t run with). Inquisition has a ton of new info though.

yeah it really opened up with the high heavens or whatever–the fade?

I guess 2 does have a lot more about the Qunari and the Qun. I know Origins has a Qunari party member but I never used him because he was boring next to Alistair and Shale, so it’s possible he tells you all that stuff, but I suspect there’s still new info.

instead of the cat japanese kilrathi of wing commander, we now have orc muslims in dragon age.

I always hated the game mechanic where you are forced to choose between the best party members for combat or take the one person who is related to the quest/area to get more story.