Dragon Age: Inquisition

I think they are still hammering out the details but that seems like a no brainer to me given the wildly varied reception for the sequel. Ideally, I think we should be able to import whatever savegames we have for both games, and if we have none available then it’ll walk us through the most important stuff.

Oh, and if there are options for Varric then you really want that guy around. Trust me. :)

True story.

I’d hope that there will be an option to use Origins but skip DA2 but part of me doubts it. BioWare did a good job with ME (admittedly after the fact) by giving you the interlude comics to simulate your choices but even then there was not a lot of stuff between ME2 and ME3 that included choices for the first game. Most likely, it will be a total save game or a pick-and-choose chart.

I own it, and put about 3 hours into it. Fuck DA2. Right in it’s little shit hole.

Da2 is pretty good, but hugely disappointing.

Basically every decision they made in the sequel was extremely negative. It is like someone makes a near perfect gold ring, and then dips it in shit. The goodness is still there, just covered in shit due to poor choices.

I don’t know if I still feel this way, but at one point I recall thinking if there had never been a DA:Origins I would have probably enjoyed DA2 more for what it was. Just a huge waste and a bitter disappointment, for me. I know some people really still enjoyed DA2 in a lot of ways, but I’m not one of them, and no one I know (most of whom are big fans of what Origins did) is either.

That said, I honestly hope DA:I ends up being an amazing RPG that’s both deep, rewarding, and fun to play. Time will tell!

Seems that Bioware has listened to the cries of frustration and is reintroducing paused combat with a tactical overhead view!
Sounds promising, but I’m still wary…

The combat has its vital strategic elements back too…The ridiculous choice to take away the paused combat and party commands from DA2 is history, and it’s all back as it should be here.

…That earlier combat they showed was very ordinary third-person melee bashing, and had me properly worried. However, having seen a battle orchestrated by an overhead view, I looked back on the bashing and was rather glad to have it as well.

(slightly trimmed to highlight the relevant comments)

…and here’s the Polygon article.

I’ll at least give them credit for acknowledging one of the criticisms about DA2. Time will tell if it’s only lip service.

Wow, I hope that’s how it goes, I’d be all over that.

Still on the “wait and see” boat, but my interest is piqued. All they have to do is not drop the ball.

If I see anyone roundhouse kick a flask, I’m out.

Plenty to learn from DA2 I agree, but paused combat and party commands were in there, so I ask, what? The combat was very enjoyable in DA2 outside of Nightmare immunities, it was the repetitive environments and a lot of the story choices along with the typical Dragon Age bugs that they wouldn’t fix (and shouldn’t have been in to begin with) that I thought most greatly annoyed people.

DA2 gameplay was lame but certainly not the worst thing ever, and not the worst part of the game – that was the supreme idiocy of all those stupid programmed betrayals and the final series of confrontations leading to that boss fight that made no sense at all.

DA2’s combat was ridiculous, anime-inspired, over the top arcade action. It was completely the wrong tone set in Origins or Awakenings, and I didn’t like it.

Push A for Awesome!

(…and surprise! Another wave of enemies just happens to teleport in behind your back. Who could have expected that?)

Well, here’s some ingame footage.

Must say, that looks more like the DA2 action 3rd person hack and slash game than I’d vaguely hoped for after the previous announcement.

Good lord, Frostbite 3 with overhead tactical view is going to be stunning.

…and here’s a glimpse of that tactical view.

Still feel it would be better if they zoomed out more, so you could actually see the whole of the area at once…

The crowd’s reaction should be a slap in the face for Bioware, one that wakes them the fuck up.

I know, right? Because they didn’t just spend a couple years building the stuff that was being cheered.

Thanks, Cormac.

The game’s world looks amazing thx to Bioware’s use of the Frostbite engine, but I really hope they break at least somewhat away from their formulae of “player runs around gathering faction support” prior to the big showdown with the foozle.

As opposed to the “player recognizes threat and goes at it alone” that happens in most games?

Did you also complain about this happening in movies like independence day?

The fact of the matter is if you have something which threatens more than just yourself and that you can’t take care of alone, it makes sense to look for help.