Dragon Age: Inquisition

Agree with all of that. I think this is a great game but its not the best DA game.

And yeah the Orlais costume ball mission has just got to fucking go. The concept is cool but then they basically add a hidden fucking timer mechanic, to a game that begs the player to explore new areas? What the fuck?

I think it’s the best out of the DA games, and even with the dumbing down, the most mass-market and easily-consumed.

Timer mechanic is easily addressed by tossing a coin.

If you guys are talking about the mission I know, it was a good one, you get to know your companions in a different context, the whole thing is unique and not too hard. I usually don’t like this type of thing (time missions) but this time was light enough.

About the whole game, I have not finished it, but seems huge. It seems designed by a room full of rpg makers that decide to make a experience that last 5 years. Like if somebody looked at Skyrim and decided he can make something with a bigger map, with each biome in a different map. All that big space is mostly filled with MMORPG tropes, but are not the bad tropes, you still get randomly fighting people, but don’t feel like they where waiting for you to spawn.

I has been asked difficult questions in DAI more times than the original DAO, but I remember more the DAO ones because I was surprised by a RPG challenging my decision skills with not trivial questions. For me, DAI is about leadership, about religion/faith and related issues. Where in DAO you choose who leads and that is all your input, in DAI you yourself lead. So is a very interesting game.

I don’t think that mission was truly ‘timed’. As I recall it, there were two times where you had to make your way to the ballroom or something. And that part was timed - but it was triggered by picking up a specific item. So long as you didn’t do that, you could explore to your hearts content.

That’s how I remember it playing out, anyway.

The timer seemed like a stressful contrivance when it first appeared, but it turned out to be nothing if you have a few random conversations and/or easy item collecting pick ups. Without giving too much away, you have opportunities to refill your “timer”, and as long as the timer does not run out you have nothing to worry about. Basically, you can fill your “timer” meter to 100, and it only slowly counts down in a few areas. When you return to the main ball area, you can easily refill this meter. If the meter runs out, you supposedly get kicked out of the ball - but I had my meter to 100 a few times, and even after throughly exploring, I never went below 70. Then I easily refilled it back to 100 - so it is more the illusion of time pressure rather than a true race against the clock. It was a nice change of pace from the rest of the game.

As a side note, I look at this game as a very pretty version of Pac-man. I felt like I was gobbling up dots most of my time exploring. Either metals, plants, shards, mosaic pieces, whatever - it was Pac-man. I even had literal ghosts chasing me while I collected since I was too advanced in level to get experience from fighting them (and burnt-out fighting random dudes on the map) that I didn’t bother fighting them. My companions kept fighting, but with a quick press of “L” they came back. Have to say though, this game if amazing. From awesome vistas to detailed interiors, my own castle, crew, mounts, skills, etc. DAI has everything I enjoy about games in it. I actually picked up the art book because I was so impressed with the art direction in the game.

They broke the game.

I use to get smooth FPS everywhere, never a drop. And now I have some shitty 2 second slowdown every few seconds that make playing the game painfull. Argggh.

I am tryiing many things, and seems many other people had the same problem (and many found how to fix it with tricks).

…finnaly I fixed it. I don’t know what fixed it. Maybe reenabling hyperthreading on bios, or all the massaging of options/drivers.

That scared the crap out of me.

I somehow was too busy when this launched to play it, although I bought it. Its just been sitting on my backlog, waiting. Well, I took a week off and after wasting a few days just decompressing, started reading up and playing this a couple of days ago. Holy hell, this is ridiculously awesome. It definitely is scratching that ME itch I didn’t know I had. I am deliberately slowboating my way through the game (I think I am level 9ish at 24-ish hours), just soaking up the deliciousness. Started out with a XBO controller and was surprised and how great that actually was, as per the thread. I started a mage based upon how much that seemed to bend the power curve in DA:O; it seems my first play-through I am going to abuse the KE and then come back on the next one and indulge my love of two-handed hammers.

It’s not the same kind of game from DA:O, really, but its still great and I am just ecstatic to be enjoying this as much as I am. Hopefully Bioware does a better job managing this franchise than it did ME, at the end.

What a game. Clocked in at over 130 hours for one playthrough, and didn’t finish everything. I think I got all the missions that I could, but I definitely didn’t finish the collectables, nor even try, really. Not sure I found all the pieces for even one mosaic, much less all of them.

Like the Energizer Bunny, the game just keeps going, and going, and going… Good times.

This is pretty good.

However, this is also the crashiest game in recent memory for me. All at random times. Map transitions, in conversations, in transitioning to the store menu, on the war table assigning missions.

Certainly puts a dampner on things, especially considering the load times even on an SSD.

My experience has been exactly the opposite so far; I had one video card-related crash early on, one set of updated drivers later and I haven’t had any issues despite the game running more or less nonstop for the last 4 days.

Did everyone else know that one of the characters was voiced by Freddie Prinze, Jr.? I couldn’t shake the idea of the male, British-accented Inquisitor being Cary Elwes (it’s not but rather Harry Hadden-Paton). Looking down the list, there were at few folks I expected to see and then a couple I didn’t, like Indira Varma of Rome and Game of Thrones fame, as well as the aforementioned Mr. Prinze.

EDIT: I wasn’t sure if I was being punked (oh, you, Internet) so a little more looking pulled up this youtube video of him being interviewed about the gig.

Patch 3 notes. Patch is still forthcoming

“Changed Tactical Camera so that it no longer re-centers when the player changes party members.”

FINALLY.

Glad they fixed this but it should not have been allowed to slip in to release, much less take three patches to fix.

Especially since pre-launch when asked about it (from a live stream) they said it was an option that could be disabled.

Okay, so I am building a new computer in 2 months, so I am holding off on DA:I and a few other titles until then. However I just read an article on Kotaku about the PC version still being broken. Is it just Kotaku being Kotaku or should I wait even longer to play it or get it on a console or something?

I have been playing the PC version since release day, with my only problems being the occasional area loading / me falling through the map bug, and the lack of companion chatter bug.

multiplayer has been broken since early december and the latest patch doesn’t fix the biggest game stopper. I’m a bit upset that since I only play the MP the game has been mostly unplayable for me for a long time.

Haven’t they fixed it properly, or do you mean something else than this:

Fixed case that could cause keys to not drop in multiplayer mode.

I haven’t tried playing it after the patch, but this was a show-stopper for me and my friends. Getting to dungeon 4 and not getting a key in order to progress to the next dungeon was rage inducing.

I played it through at release and didn’t have major issues - a couple crashes mainly and the bug where my guy was treated like a girl.