Dragon Age: Inquisition

Yeah, that was the point where I stopped playing and I was maybe 15 hours in.

So a big patch dropped today, but the even bigger news is that the first single-player DLC comes out tomorrow on PC and Xbone, and it opens up a whole new region.

Hopefully they are finally done with the crappy attempts at multiplayer content.

I don’t get why the fucking crafting shit, that’s for mmo’s, I’m out on epic adventure, I don’t want to pick herbs or mine shit

I’m definitely done with crafting for the year after picking shit off the ground for hours in Risen. Barely used any of it.

The world is a crate.

I on the other hand will pick all the herbs and mine all the ore they can cram into the game. Mmmmm gathering and crafting. I’m looking forward to the complete edition of this coming out down the road so I can play it all at once.

By the way, the DLC has an “exclusivity period” for Xbox One and PC for now.

I am playing this game now. So far, I have collected tuns of crafting materials, but I haven’t crafted anything yet. All the loot I find, is just as good, if not better, than the stuff I can craft. I keep hoping that will change at some point.

The crafting sucked bad in DAI. Terrible UI being the main problem, for me. So many clicks/button presses and screen transitions between evaluating current gear, looking at what you can craft, actually crafting and then equipping the newly crafted item. And then almost everything is generically named and its tedious to compare finished products…before they are actually finished products. What kind of hilt do you need for this dagger? Who fucking knows? What is the difference between the 2-3 hilts you can make? Who fucking knows!

Anyone grab the expansion? Wonder how long it is, quality, etc. I’ll probably hold as Pillars is unlocking imminently.

My issue with crafting has been for me it seems like almost none of the upgrades I make ever work with any of the Armour or weapons I find or craft. I have a massive list of hilts, grips and such but I think I’ve found one or two weapons and one armor that I could attach them too. Maybe there’s something that I’m just completely clueless about and am missing but I’ve given up trying to remember to keep checking whenever I go back to Skyhold.

Has anyone found a use for gold? I now have 11k and nothing really to spend it on.

Go to Val Royaeux and do some shopping. There’s a mysterious item just in your price range. ; )

Hmm, was there the other day looking for a rift mage book and didn’t see anything particularly interesting. Perhaps I missed it because I was just looking for that book.

Some items have no upgrade slots. Some do. That’s basically how it falls out.

Not really. Skyhold does have some uniques to buy. Crafting schematics from Val Royaeux (and other places) can get expensive, but yeah, there’s not really a gold sink.

I bought a fair number of crafting schematics. To bad you can’t see the stats before you buy them. Then when I got to the crafting table I always find my equipped gear is better than anything I can craft. I finally figured out I could buy blank rune stones in skyhold, and now I find that most runes do not fit the weapons I have OR are rather uninspiring. IE: My staff came with a 10 spirit damage rune, and I can replace that (at great cost of materials) with 10 fire damage for example. Most unimpressive.

I even got the masterwork mage weapon perk and even THAT staff is below my random purple drop staff I am using and about the same as a blue staff I found for another mage NPC.

I’ve crafted some pretty decent items that I used for a significant stretch of time before finding something to replace them. And upgrading runes is a great way to improve items that otherwise aren’t outdated. Using higher tier crafting materials will surely get you something worth using.

As to the expansion, I’m skipping it. Despite loving DAI, the cutscene crashes (which haven’t been addressed yet) don’t make me eager to get back into the game and $15 seems high when the base game was only 3x that. It’d have to provide 30-40 hours of game time and a tonne of content to match the vanilla game.

There’s a shop in Val Royeaux that sells just one item, which is a gag easter egg item. You’ll know the shop when you find it.

The gold sink are really the influence-increasing books in Skyhold, but you’ll run out of those before long I think.

— Alan

Crafted stuff of the same level definitely outclasses their equivalent level drops. I say that roughly, because crafting gear has no level requirement, and I think it might be gamebreaking if you focus specifically on getting good schematics early and grind materials (if you can stomach that sort of thing). But yeah, the crafting is really obtuse and it’s difficult to see how exactly you get the uber-gear.

Basically you have three tiers of schematics and three tiers of materials (actually 4 material tiers if you count dragon, but that gives minimal bonus over T3). There’s also masterwork versions, which are a marginal bonus (they use more secondary materials and so have slightly more secondary stats). The big number you care about (damage/armor) is affected by the schematic level and the main material level, where T1 schematic with T3 materials ~= T2 schematic with T1 materials; similarly for T2/T3 schematics.

The inquisition perks that give schematics only give T2 schematics, so if you’re later in the game, or if you’re using T1 materials, yeah, they probably end up crappier than what you find. On the other hand, if you rush Val Royeaux immediately after the introduction, you can craft stuff that’s 1.5x - 2x the damage or armor of what you can find in loot.

For example, the T2 mage armor schematic in Val Royeaux (Enchanter Coat), crafted with T2 materials, has 136 armor, compared with the 80-100 armor drops you get out of the introduction. I didn’t find any armor drops that were better than that until ~L14 or L15, so that was carrying me for nearly 10 levels or so. Even with T1 materials, that has 107 armor, which won’t be outclassed for some time (probably until after you get to Skyhold).