Dragon Age: Inquisition

I recall really enjoying the archer in DA2

Except in this game, apparently!

I’d still like to play this if I ever have infinite time.

Also: The tedium of picking up stuff…

I downloaded a mod that makes that instant. I don’t have time for ‘picking stuff up’ animations.

Merry Christmas, you filthy animals.

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/564053/dragon-age-hard-in-hightown-by-written-by-varric-tethras-with-help-from-mary-kirby-illustrated-by-stefanomartino-andres-ponce-german-ponce-and-alvaro-sarraseca/9781506704043/

I tried playing this in 2015 about a month after TW3, which wasn’t a good idea. I got to Hinterlands, saw all those MMO-like quests and bailed.

But now I don’t have anything to play (would get God of War but I let a friend borrow my PS4) so I am giving it a second chance. I accepted that lot of quests are fetch nonsense and combat isn’t great and…I am so far somewhat enjoying it. Hinterlands are nice to explore and it is refreshing to play a protagonist with voice and some agency after Far Cry 5 and its dumb mute.

Here is hoping I can make it through this time :)

I forgot I started new playthrough!

I never started a first play through! Why did I buy this game!

I never finished this, I got to one of the giant desert zones and said NOPE and quit.

You could just tell it was meaningless filler added to stretch the game length even more. :(

I enjoyed this quite a bit when it came out, even though it still didn’t quite capture the tactical satisfaction of the first game, it was a lot closer to what I wanted the second one to be and it is super nice looking. Huge, lots to dig into, for sure. But really easy to burn yourself out - I remember many folks giving up after playing for hours in the starting area/zone when they could have left very quickly, but had assumed they shouldn’t.

But, for the life of me, I just cannot get back into it. I know I would probably enjoy revisiting it, but every time I install it I play for an hour or two and then never get back to it, eventually uninstalling it. I must have started a new game in this 4 times now after beating it at launch. No idea why.

Yeah - remember you don’t have to ‘complete’ the Hinterlands in one go. Mix it up with other areas for a more enjoyable time.

I forget what the dwarf area was called, but it was my favorite part of the entire game. Seeing them giant abandoned halls. Mmmm.

I enjoyed the game, for whatever it’s worth. I never finished it, but then I almost never finish any game.

Things I liked:

• NPC’s with personalities. Not always enjoyable personalities, but the voice-acting helped immersion.
  • The concept of agents doing various missions with differing levels of skill, and having those run real-time as opposed to game-hours. That let me send them off to do long tasks just as I was getting ready to wrap up shop for the evening (yes, this system can be cheated by changing your system clock, but why?).
  • Base building is fun. While it can be a little dry at times, it was nice to see my efforts out in the world reflected at home.

What I didn’t like:

• Generic mob combat (wasn’t all the time, but frequent enough to be boring)
  • Imbalanced character classes; Origins was OP with mage, DAII “underpowered” and caused some complaints on that, and DA-I went back to OP mages. In addition, some prestige classes kinda suck in terms of balance, but look interesting.
  • Fetch quests. Sometimes it seems like the curse of MMO’s will never leave SP RPG’s.

Another dumb thing in this game was the frequency of combat, mobs were just spaced out to cause combat every few minutes without any logical reason for them being there. :(

Yeah, it wouldn’t have been so bad if you could clear them out and keep them cleared, but of course they just kept on respawning all the time. Just plain annoying. I lost interest in the game toward the end, never finished it.

Yep pretty much these complaints I all share.

MMO-like quests are just…the worst.

And boring combat. I am playing on normal (as usual) warrior with a shield and I pretty much hold R2 and occasionally press some other button for some skill power or heal potion…and that’s it.

Some people complained about Witcher 3 combat, but that game is the epitome of combat fun compared to this, with its parries, ripostes, dodges, rolls, bombs, potions, rend, whirl, signs…

Why there is no dodge in this game at least, I don’t know. Maybe I am missing something? Probably not.

I just went to that Orlais city at least. It is tiny square but it looks nice.

It had two desert zones, one of which was almost all padding.

Finished the game myself but everyone’s complaints are all valid. The only way I got through was to keep switching areas to avoid monotony. The story itself wasn’t enough to motivate you to progress like it was in Origins.

DA:I was my GOTY in 2014, despite the warts. From the Quarterly thread:

1. Dragon Age Inquisition.
Even though there’s a lot I found lacking in the game (playing on hard the battles felt grindy, boring loot, crafting system that could use some improvements, cumbersome inventory system, tactical mode wasn’t all that), the stuff that worked made up for it (most of the characters, the beautiful environments, the sense that the Inquisition made changes to the areas they engaged). Also: How is it possible to screw up a fantasy version of the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer?

Man this game is kind of a bummer. So far I have been in

Haven
Hinterlands
Fallow Mire
Storm Coast
Forbidden Oasis

All these maps look beautiful. Graphics is great. But the “stuff” to do in each is the exact same, and it is pretty much all MMO nonsense.

Which wouldn’t even be that bad if

• combat was fun
  • there was any music

But for some bizzare reason, after Bioware used beautiful soundtracks on BG, ME and Kotor games, starting with Inquisiton and continuing with Andromeda, they basically leave 95% of playtime silent. For me, good music is 80% of overall atmosphere. So this is just bizzare.

As for combat, I was so bored with my sword and shield dude I respeced to try two handed. I unlocked the roll move (yay at least it is in the game) and some whirlwind and if nothing else, at least it looks quite cool.

I am not sure if I have it in me to finish this game though. Maybe I really just need to hightail it and go for main quest only.