Dragon Age: Inquisition

How does waiting an hour aid immersion, exactly?

For me at least, it’s an internal monologue bit. I send someone out on a mission, I go do my own thing, and I get back and either something’s been done while I’m away or so-and-so has yet to return. This lends a superficial “living world” semblance to things. I think it’s a stepping stone on the path to improving Bioware’s hub model of games.

I real life you always have to wait around for stuff. Very immersive making you wait around in a game I’d say.

I just lie in a dark room and murmur “immersion immersion immersion” for an hour while I wait.

Ahh yes, the “make games suck like real life” type of immersion. Like a japanese dating sim where you match with a ton of people but nobody ever actually sends the first message so the matches just expire. Innovative gameplay!

are there any mods/essential mods for this?

Yes, if you install the easy-mode gay mod the game transforms into finding dudes within 200 feet of your current location, sending them a picture of your erection, and immediately having hot anonymous sex. It’s the complete inverse of the base game where you never talk to anyone, but the gameplay is similarly dull due to the complete lack of challenge.

Oh, you meant for Dragon Age? I hadn’t even though to check, I assumed it wasn’t moddable. But in fact that is not true!

“Like”

omg this is so needed

Yeah, I also plan on getting this one.

Buncha filthy cheaters on PC. Back in my day we waited and we liked it!

Inventory is one bit of immersion I can do without. It’s also why great games such as Grim Dawn eventually turn me off; I spend more time juggling inventory and deciding what to sell or keep that actually playing the game.

Yeah, I just don’t care about that stuff. Dungeon Siege had this all figured out in 2002 when they gave the player a spell that turned loot into gold. Sure it’s gamey and breaks immersion but who cares?

In Soviet Russia, inventory manages YOU!

We need virtual reality games where somehow the headsets and controllers get heavier the more inventory slots you use. We MUST suffer for our immersion.

But bag tetris is one of the hallmarks of Diablo-alikes!

Btw, playing Hardcore really helped me in this regard. Suddenly, I was starting characters left and right, and I quickly got a feel for what type of loot keeps showing up for every character. Hence, it’s not something I need to save in a stash, since nearly everyone can get access to it on their own. This included lots of epic (blue) items. Once I knew they were common, I started selling them right away. So very little gets saved in my shared stash now, which solved my inventory problem.

When I was playing softcore, it was a big agonizing decision; what to store, what to throw away. Hardcore was a bit of an eye-opener. Most stuff in the game you can acquire on your own. So no need to keep stuff for other characters. They can find their own loot for the most part.

Also, I haven’t really been keeping up with Dragon Age generally speaking, but Mark Darrah tweeted that he is working on both Anthem and DA4, just in case anyone wasn’t sure DA4 wasn’t on the way (I hadn’t seen an announcement) -

We know Anthem is poisoned by open world crap, but hopefully DA4 will escape that fate.

I think it’s immersive to have things take up in-game time, since otherwise everyone is apparently teleporting around instantaneously. That needn’t necessarily translate to real-world time passage, of course.