Dragon Commander, from Larian (TBS/RPG?)

May the end times treat you well in 2012, lol.

RPS posted a very good interview with Swen Vincke, the founder of Larian, today. The guy definitely understands PC gaming and the interview made me even more excited for this game.

Yeah, the game sounds awesome and the developer sounds like a rather well-informed gentleman actually.

Cannot wait!

Non-related Random Wikipedia Quote

Dragonriders of Pern is a science fiction series written primarily by the late American-Irish author Anne McCaffrey,[a] who initiated it in 1967. …

Life on Pern as presented in the novels resembles a pre-industrial society with lords, holds, harpers (musicians, entertainers, and teachers), and dragons, with the occasional examples of higher technology (like flamethrowers, telegraphi, chemical fertilizers, and powerful microscopes and telescopes).
Pernese people are described as belonging to four basic groups: Weyrfolk (including Dragonriders) who live in the Weyrs, the Holders who live in the Holds (cities, towns and farms), the crafters who live in Crafthalls (or are assigned to work their crafts in certain Holds), and the Holdless who have no permanent home (including traders, displaced Holders, and brigands).
One of the main threats to Pernese civilization in the series is Thread, which is described as a mycorrhizoid spore that periodically rains down on the planet due to the orbit of the Red Star. The Red Star is set out to be a rogue planet in the Rukbat system. The Red Star, characterized as a “Sedna-class inner Oort cloud object”, has a 250 Turn (or Pernese year) elliptic orbit around its sun. Thread can reach the planet Pern for about 50 Turns while the Red Star is at perihelion. Thread is described in this series as an agent that consumes organic material at a voracious rate, including crops, animals, and any humans in its path.
The Pernese use intelligent firebreathing dragons and their riders to fight Thread. The riders have a telepathic bond with their dragons, formed by Impression at the dragon’s hatching. Later books deal with the initial colonization of Pern and the creation of the dragons through genetic manipulation. The lengthy (over two millennia) time period covered by the series as a whole allows room for new stories and characters, explored by each new novel released by the authors.

Uh, thanks, Teiman!

That was a great interview. I’ll buy the game just to support the concept and what they’re trying to do.

Five insane things you should know about it

It’s a board game/card game/real-time strategy with role-playing elements and third-person action dragon piloting

OMG WANT BADLY.

Well, I could get over my dragon loathing for THAT.

I’ll be in my bunk.

Dragon loathing?!?! How DARE you, sir!

Includes 12 min. video, that gives a good overview of the game: dragon action, RTS, board map strategy, diplomacy with consequences.

A new trailer

Ohhh, I really want this…and I want it right now!

Update video, lead guy walking around talking to the team.

Game map looks fantastic!

I’ll be getting this for free due to my backer level from the Original Sin Kickstarter. :)

That looks even better than I was expecting. I also get this from my Original Sin backing, looks like it may be money well-spent already!

So I just got a beta key for this today due to the Original Sin kickstarter, looking forward to trying it this evening!

We await your report!

I’ll probably try it too, but prob not until yhe weekend, if anyone wants to connect on steam

I just checked, and also got a beta key! I backed D:OS@ $65. Holy shite , 12gb download!

The beta is too unstable for me to sink too much time into it right now but from what little I’ve seen it looks like it could potentially be really cool.