Dragon Quest XI - Echos of an Elusive Age

Yeah, I should clarify that 22 seconds isn’t the worst thing in the world of course - it’s actually not bad at all, and he was zooming from one city to another. But. some people are super bothered by long (even 20 second) load times, and for those folks I thought it worth mentioning.

I wouldn’t mind playing this from my nice chair on the big TV in 4K, but I suppose if I really wanted to I could move my PC like 3’ and hook it up to the TV. Actually, that might be tempting to try out.

Definitely worth mentioning.

I am on PS4, playing the downloaded version of the game on an external HD, the load times are negligible, 3-5 seconds.

I’m on PC, and I don’t have time to read the little notepad nuggets of info when it’s loading.

I would say, if you have it installed to the hard drive on PS4 it is difficult to have enough time to finish the blurbs before the load happens.

Yep. I rarely get to the end of a blurb.

Hehe, I’m glad they have finally made NPCs react to you rummaging through their dressers. It’s usually either stand around and do nothing in JRPGs or the town guard shows up and attacks or takes you to prison to do hard time in WRPGs.

It’s still 99% ignore you for treasure. DQ has a long tradition of how things like this are supposed to work and the one thing this game is about is tradition.

Finally got around to starting this. Man, this game is beautiful. Makes a great first impression for old-school jRPG lovers.

Ok, got past that boss (it was actually quite easy this time - I guess my wipe was just a case of bad luck) and I’m now kind of back where it all started and I’m enjoying this game so very much. ;)

Yeah, I’m straight up obsessed with this one. I’ve got about 32 hours in so far and I’m getting pretty deep into the story, but it sounds like the story is very big and epic so I’m likely nowhere near where I think of as the end or even the halfway point? I did finally get a means by which I can unlock those annoying red doors, and spent an hour last night zooming to every location I could to check the map for lock icons, opening up tons of doors and getting some very amazing loot.

Examples! (spoiler tagged)

So many amazing moments, enemies, characters, and locations to encounter in the first 30 hours, I can’t wait to see what’s next!

Only about 3.5-4 hours in now, I’ve just gotten my first companion after meticulously picking over every inch of all the maps I’ve passed over so far. Particularly glad I did that for one of the early locations, given some, um, plot events.

But that said, I’ve got a long weekend ahead of me thanks to the hurricane closing my workplace. Assuming I keep power, should be able to fit in lots of great gaming time at last :)

Not sure how close you are to the coast, but I wish you good luck. Be careful.

Yes, my advice is do all the quests in the early game as soon as you get them, because you might not be able to get back to those places and do the quests later. (or find hidden stuff)

Not to spoil anything, but if you can imagine going on a grand world-traveling adventure, you might want to pour over your starting town or two first, because you aren’t going to want to make a pit stop back home, once the going gets good.

Also, that story beat had me completely shocked.

They are all dead really? My mom too?

DQ may be cutesy, but the plot always isn’t (though it sometimes is)

Well they’ve never really taken a step back from having bad stuff happen.

DQ VIII the opening scene is the kingdom being cursed and everyone being frozen in place aside the king, his daughter and our plucky hero. Princess is turned into a horse and the king into a troll like monster.

So its par for the course ;-)

Holy. Forking. Shirtballs.

I wonder if that’s because the 10th plot twist happened.

I don’t really want to get into details, but this is probably my GOTY. It might well be my favorite JRPG, even supplanting FFXII. It’s at least as good in a lot of ways.

THIS JUST IN.

Dual-wielding Falcon Blades (especially with a high critical hit chance) is the Best Thing.

THAT IS ALL.

Yeah, I’m looking forward to dual-wielding on my hero. If I knew that was an (unlockable) option in the game when I started it, I’d have called my hero “Kirito”.