Dragon Quest XI - Echos of an Elusive Age

Got this game over Xmas and wow, what a game. This is for sure in my top 3 of all time JRPGs, and will most likely end up being #1. There are so many great quality of life things in this game, that usually bug the crap out of me in JRPGs. The only thing that’s a bit of a letdown for me, and what may keep it out of the first spot, is the shallowness of the skill trees. Final Fantasy Tactics has spoiled me forever on character development and choices.

I’m about 30 hours in, and thought I had a handle on what was going to happen. It’s awesome that I was completely wrong, and was nowhere near where I thought I was game wise. This is one of the few JRPGs where I actually care about the story, instead of it just being a weak excuse to go grind levels.

There’s something really satisfying about roaming around in the game world in this game, easily my favorite implementation of that ever in a JRPG.

Yes. the story is pretty awesome. It does take a bit to kick into high gear, but when it does… hoo boy.

I’ve restarted so that I can collect the crossbow challenge seeds as I go so that I get the power spikes as I play through.

Did everyone just use any seeds of skill just on their main or assign them around their party?

Question for someone that’s finished.

Without wanting to spoil anything so i’ll be vague, when you visit nautica after the thing that happens happens how far through the main story am I?

You’re probably around 2/3rds of the way to the credits. Which is not really the end of the game, but it’d be good enough if you’re burning out on it.

And the last third of the game (playing fully - let’s call it “actual act 3”) is the most mind blowing thing. So freaking cool.

Thanks @Mysterial and @Scotch_Lufkin Im really enjoying myself I was just wondering about how much there was left of the main plot.

Some sort of Dragon Quest meets Pokemon Go kind of game was announced, which is fine but not why I’m here…

This is what caught my eye:

“By the way, about Dragon Quest XII , which I’m sure is on everyone’s mind—[Yuji] Horii and I are currently making preparations on series developments that will connect to XII . I think it’s still too early,
but we would like announce it in some form, so please wait a little while longer.”

What I am enjoying since the thing that happens happens is that all the party members I had never used come to the fore.

Rab’s +22 health per party member per turn ability is fantastic.

Demo and pre-load’s up worldwide for the Switch edition.

Still wondering if the PC version might ever get any of these enhancements. . .

Or are they selling us the privilege of re-buying the Enhanced version as a separate SKU?

I can’t think of a case where Square backported enhancements so it’s pay $60 and 80 hours to see them or live without. TBH, I loved the game so much I might have lived with just the $60 part, but I don’t have time to replay a game that large.

For what it’s worth, I’d almost even be down to pay again, but I’ve heard nothing that Definitive Ed’s even gonna show up elsewhere :(

I played enough of it on PS4 that it’s a hard decision to get it on Switch, but I might, rabbit… I might!

I just tried it a little bit.
The game in 3D mode is incredibly aliased. It reminds me of Guild Wars 2 or Euro Truck Simulator if you choose to render them at 50%. But it is smooth. It probably looks fine in portable Mode, but even on a “small big” screen as my monitor, it’s a bit tough on the eyes. I expect that if you played it on the PS4 or have a big TV, you won’t be able to suffer it. I think this might be a preview of what the Witcher 3 will feel like as well.
Another thing that I expected but sadly got the confirmation: the game is locking Japanese language outside of the others. The reason is simple: DQ11 is monetized on the Japanese eshop with an extra 30$ “English dubbing” DLC. So while the Western version gets the Japanese voices for free, the original text of the game is left out.

Man…the Akira Toriyama designs in highly detailed 3d are…kinda awful. Weird blobby cross eyes for everyone!

I’ve always found the Toriyama/Dragon Quest art design of people to be terrible. But I found DQ11 to be one of the least offensive DQs in this regard. To the point I mostly liked the art direction, which surprised me.

I don’t think it’s a Toriyama issue per se. Any 3D animu looks like awkward cosplayers wearing paper masks to me.

I think for me it’s really just the cross-eyed look. I played Ys 8 and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 recently, and didn’t have a similar feeling.

For people who’ve already played this, any recs for people starting the demo? Any Draconian Quest options that people would recommend? Any recommendations on choosing between Japanese / English dialog? (Gemma’s voice in English seems pretty bad, but the rest of the cast seems pretty good).