Dragon Quest XI - Echos of an Elusive Age

You should be fine - someone has the PS4 version (English) and confirmed it’s around 30.8GB install for that version, so probably around the same for the PC version?

Link https://www.reddit.com/r/dragonquest/comments/9aeyrq/picked_this_up_at_walmart_friday_about_10hrs_in/

Well, some PC ports will be larger due to uncompressed stuff, but most ports have similar sizes, I suppose, so hopefully that’s about the same for the PC. If so, it shouldn’t be a problem. Thanks for trying to find that answer for me, I appreciate it. ;)

I didn’t know what this was, but there are some options you can set if you prefer the game to be a little more challenging right from the start.

You can turn up to all 6 of the options on but in the JP version you can ONLY do so at game start. You can turn them off at any point. Perhaps in the Western version you can re-enable them if you want, but no one has tested/reported on that yet.

Since it sounds like the game is pretty easy out of the box I’ll probably turn on the “strong opponents” which I read from GameFAQs increases the overall level of the enemies. This may make the end- and post-game too much but I can always turn it off. But I can’t turn it on again, so I’ll give it a try at least. The other options seem like bad ideas for first play throughs to me though.

I’m tempted to also turn on “half or no XP from weaker enemies” but then again playing with stronger opponents I may need to grind a little, and what I’m really looking for here (for the @tomchick types that don’t like to change difficulty upward with no rewards) is the ability to feel good about my tactical choices and the extra time I may spend learning and using the crafting system. What fun is carefully building a dual-weapon front line badass and taking the time to craft Broadsword +3 for each hand when a regular attack from a normal weapon can one shot the foes I face, after all? No satisfaction in that at all, and the super, duper easy difficulty killed my interest in Ni no Kuni 2 after around 10 hours or so. I would like to avoid that this time, so I’m pleased there is an option here for that!

EDIT: This pretty much cinches it for me, the decision to turn on tougher enemies.

I had forgotten Tim Rogers now works at Kotaku. I’m pleasantly surprised that his style works pretty well in video.

His style is way better suited to video than text IMO.

Oh wow, Tim Rogers. I’m watching that review now, it’s really good. You’re right Dave, his style does seem better suited for video. It’s the same writing as on his website, but it comes through better in audio form when you can hear him saying it.

I just got to the part about the battle system. It seems really close to Final Fantasy X’s system, which is my favorite in any JRPG. Including the fact that you can choose not to grind in order to make the game harder for yourself. FFX was really hard or really easy depending on how many enemies you fought outside the boss battles.

PC requirements have been posted on Steam (finally!).

MINIMUM:

• Processor: Intel Core i3-2105 / AMD A10-5800K

• Memory: 8 GB RAM

• Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750Ti / AMD Radeon RX 470

• DirectX: Version 11

• Storage: 32 GB available space

• Additional Notes: 720p 30fps

RECOMMENDED:

• Processor: Intel Core i5-6600 / AMD Ryzen 7 1800X

• Memory: 8 GB RAM

• Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 / AMD Radeon RX Vega 56

• DirectX: Version 11

• Storage: 32 GB available space

• Additional Notes: 1080p 60fps

Pretty reasonable requirements, I suppose.

EDIT: ah, and in case someone was wondering, Denuvo is confirmed.

Sweet, even my computer can handle that.

That’s like a four year old PC right there.

Yeah, wow, those specs are impressive in how sparse they are. I know this runs on Unreal 4, but I also can tell looking at the art style it’s not going to be like running The Witcher 3 or anything. I think it’s going to end up running and looking great on PC, but I am as eager as anyone to see some actual footage/performance tests by guys like Digital Foundry, for sure.

Just hope it supports unlocked frame rate! Which being UE4, it should.

Green Man Gaming keys are up (though I hadn’t received an email yet, some eagle-eyed poster over at Reset Era reported it and indeed, my key was listed and I’m pre-loading now). I am sure the PC version will run totally fin (possibly even great) but I am eager to see some PC footage at some point all the same. Especially the options, like if there is a 60fps cap on frames (that’s not a big deal, just curious more than anything).

As a pre-order AND a recipient of the Edition of Light or whatever (which every pre-order is, I’m pretty sure) it looks like I’ll be starting with 18 (!) seeds of skill. That’s like … four to six extra levels worth of skill points? Not that you have to use them of course, or use them immediately to purchase skills. Also, you’d have to decide which characters to unlock skills for, and there are 7 and they each have their own skill tree. So maybe 18 isn’t that many after all - it’s less than 3 points for each character, if you saved them? Maybe the best thing to do is sit on them and store them up until you have an idea of how you want to spec your characters. I don’t even know if I want to go two-handed or dual wielding, or sword and board with the main character, and I don’t even know what my options even are with the others!

In any case, it seems like from what folks playing it now have written, I’ll want to turn on the “tougher enemies” difficulty option as some folks 10-15 hours in are reporting the boss fights and larger normal fights really keep you on your toes, and that sounds fun. I can always turn it off if I want to drop down to a more standard/relaxed pace, but I can’t turn it on so I’ll start with it at least. I am not interested in reducing XP for lower level enemies (which only serves to make the game grindy, I fear, and will only increase the chance I turn off the tougher enemies modification), nor taking away the power to flee (I’m probably fleeing because I’m in a hurry to get somewhere, not because I’ve bitten off more than I can chew), or any of the other options.

Got my key from Greenman, It’s a 28.9GB preload.

I don’t know much about Dragon Quest, but that might be the best video review I’ve ever seen. The reviewer’s unabashed enthusiasm for the series is very endearing. Thanks for sharing, Scott! :)

Seconding this. I’m seeking out more of his stuff because that was fantastic. I especially liked his comparing Dragon Quest to a fairytale bedtime story that you play for maybe an hour every evening. Which reinforces how perfect this game seems for Switch and how tough waiting for it to be released on that platform’s going to be. I’m thinking that if it’s not announced before Steam’s winter sale I won’t be able to resist.

It’s live!

Impressions of the PC version in a bit once I get some time with it, playing now!

I’m stuck at work and cursing you right now out of pure envy.

Enjoy! ;)

Hee hee I called in sick. To my credit, I did some work from home and got a bunch of chores around and outside the house done for the first 3 hours of my morning, but now it’s time to spend 4 hours before the kids come home from school killing slimes and spending skill points.

Let’s get some impressions! I’m trying to decide between this and Spider-Man so please let’s hear what you think:).

I could probably record some non-story footage (like running around and killing stuff) and show off the PC version on YouTube at some point this afternoon, if that would help.