Dragon Quest XI - Echos of an Elusive Age

Can’t answer the first one, but you can switch characters when it’s the hero’s turn, it seems.

I read they do, but I haven’t tested it. I only just got my 5th character last night. It should be easy enough to check/test though. I’ll try to remember here tonight.

One tip I think you may like is that when you are in the Tactics menu, you can select “everyone” and then set them to Follow Orders. That sets everyone to manual control, rather than doing it on a character to character basis. I also use that for “fight wisely” and then change the two I’m setting to something else by hand, saves a second or two. Not as nice as a “set everyone to manual” button, sure, but better than doing it all one at a time each time.

I love this option. There are parts of the game where the party members are okay on cruise control, but sometimes you have to meticulously control every move.

Right…I do the “everyone” thing for follow orders and was just hoping for a “everyone” thing to back to the way they were with possibly many different tactics before the everyone follow orders thing.

No biggie, just a bit more work at times. I am using the recommended “fight wisely” for most fights unless I want to manually control my main guy. .I’m sure that will change once I get more members.

Wish I was not at work.

Jeez…I just scrolled to the top of this thread and saw the pics of the horse…I totally forgot I have a horse. I don’t mind walking/running around so far but a faster option would be nice. Can someone tell me how you call the horse?

Yet another reason for me to pick up a PS4. I hope this eventually comes out on the Xbox. I can hope. Or more realistically, the 3DS (where I can play DQ 4 to DQ 9!).

DQ is the only JRPG series that hasn’t totally disappointed. I LIKE that it doesn’t take too many risks and instead has focused on refining what it does.

As much as I love FF 12 I really wish Square would just give us a traditional iteration. FF 9 was the pinnacle of classic JRP with FF as far as I’m concerned. I hope this DQ sells like crazy worldwide (we know Japan loves the series) and shows there is still a large audience for classic JRPGs on non-handhelds.

Use the bell on a post. Found at campsites and sometimes at the entrance to the zone.

Sadly, there’s never been a DQ game on the Xbox, any iteration. It’s been a Nintendo, and later Sony, stalwart from the very get go.

I have a strong desire to play this on the Switch for sure, and may do that some day down the road years from now, I think.

Yeah, I know. Wishful thinking.

They should just localise the 3DS version. But i guess I will end up picking up a Switch, eventually.

I think I read the reason that didn’t drop with the PS4 version was to push PS4 units out the door. I bet in a year we have the 3DS version available (which I think looks really cool, better than VIII even).

Oh wow, didn’t know there was a 3DS version, maybe I’ll hold out for that.

Might be a long wait, like those of us still hanging on for the 3DS port of DQ7 to finally make it to Android/iOS (where the rest of the series, 1-8, is currently easily available in excellent form) :(

Ah, but the others did get to the 3DS! So there’s hope.

Yep! DQ11 released for the 3DS, but only in Japan.

@ArmandoPenblade My cart for DQ7 has been in my 3DF slot for years.

Been refusing to let myself buy a new console ever since I played my 360 for a grand total of like 10 hours, but the 3DS and Switch are both tempting for various reasons :(

It’s never a make it or break it thing for me, but I am absolutely loving the art style. I also like the frequency of save points and autosaves. One of the hard things about the series in the past (played exclusively on android actually) is how long you sometimes had to go without saves, which could be frustrating if you died unexpectedly.

Thanks @Scotch_Lufkin and @rhamorim! I’ve been trying to resist this game – very busy – but I loved VIII so much, it’s pretty difficult.

Yes. I am in the horse racing town with 4 companions, on the verge of getting companion #5. Party is level 14 across the board, and said companion acts as a dummy 5th character in combat for now. Which is not as great as it sounds (they do soak some attacks and can’t die, but are generally limited to attacking and occasionally doing something like using a free consumable or snapping you out of confusion).

The boss fight I’m facing is very tough. The counters I face are semi-tough. It all really comes down to DQ’s initiative system, which is basically “pray for good RNG” (stats matter a little I believe, but at low levels they aren’t as strong). Bad rng means the enemy might decide to focus fire someone at the end of a round. . . and then get to act 2-4 times at the beginning of the next and decide to focus fire somemone and yes now I’m re-loading a save. Although Resurrection is not too expensive, wipes are (lose 50% of gold).

Like many DQ bosses, this one acts more than once a round. And it just comes down to “what skills will he use and who will he target” and “oh, he confused both healers at least #5 will probably snap one out of it oh he attacked fuck my life”). I am distributing healing items better for my next attempt, although I am debating grinding to 15. I did decide to buy a few upgrades, and I also was able to secure weapon upgrades for both casters (not at the expense of defense, which is why I did it) via the forge. I may use the forge to rework those upgrades and try to get the two casters’ defense up even more.

The forge is pretty great. Eventually you can buiy the rework materials you need I’m told. You’ll get some every time you complete a forging, though. I think it’s a good idea to rework equipment as frequently as possible and you can get some nice stat buffs. I decided to start using the pre-order accessories, and now they restore +5/+2 hp/mp a turn respectively (up from +3/+1), I was unable to get either to +3 which would mave moved them to +10/+5.

Forging is super important, did I mention that?

But the game is not easy. A restart can come from any encounter simply due to “it rolled 4+ enemies” and “back to back rounds of RNG bullshit”. It also doesn’t help that Erik is pure garbage early on (he does mediocre damage and despite a nice early hp pool he’s stil fragile). I want to get dual wield on him but that means going daggers and they just haven’t been good early. I may spring for the Poison Moth and see if I can score a +2 on rework (the base dagger is only slightly better than the Divine Dagger +3 I lucked out forging him awhile ago).

I will not turn it off the option. I’ll just keep at it. I haven’t used any of the skill point seeds although it’s tempting. It’s it grindy? A bit. The thing is levels alone won’t be enough without either more forging or paying for some expensive if slight eq upgrades (which I might able to rework into moderate upgrades if I am lucky). There are a few quests in town that could lead to “natural grinding” while you try to do them. Right now I just don’t have a lot of margin for error.

Oooh, I bet I am close to being able to hit up that one resource node again and make another nice caster body armor. . . that will help too. . .