Dragonlance Animated Film

Yeah, let me guess, your first character you make in any RPG is whatever class will let you duel weild and have a pet too, right?

Or go human mage, sooper high intelligence, really physically weak, neutral evil and called Rasterline or something.

/M.

You know, that just made me realize that while playing WoW, I recall seeing about 100 “Legolaas” characters (and Gimliis, etc.), but do not recall a single Dragonlance derivative.

Salvatore is ok. I read most of his stuff, because, hey, sometimes I run out of magazines to read while on the pot.

Sweet. At age 26 I still find the first 6 books to be extremely entertaining. I’ve read through them at least 20 times. The twins trilogy was all kinds of awesome though.

Footsteps in the sand. Footsteps in the sand…

You are assuming these people read books.

And remember, during the most difficult times there was only one set of footprints not because you were abandoned, but because Raistlin carried you.

Ok, what?

edit: nevermind. Took me a minute to remember what that was from. Nice job on the obscure reference though.

I actually have the majority of the Dragonlance books. I bought them from some nasty stinky bookstore owner chick who had them in her smoke filled D&D basement. I think there’s about 75 books there.

I bought them because I have a friend who loves them, and I have fond memories of the original series. And they were cheap in a nice big block.

Of course, actually reading them is out of the question, most of them suck hard. The original trilogy though, I quite liked. It’s obviously just their D&D campaign dramatized, and I dig that about it. The rest of the mythos though, can go to hell.

That said, I’ll probably still see this.

Being the resident Xena fanatic, I of course checked exactly which episodes Strayton had done, since I didn’t recognise the name. Turned out I didn’t recognise it because 1. he only did the teleplays and 2. all the episodes he worked on sucked ass.

I read Chronicles and Legends based on a friends suggestion and didn’t like them at all. This was after I had read Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, and Silmarillion. I did “actually” enjoy parts of the Dark Elf Trilogy.

I can not STAND Salvatore. Drizzt is a horrible, horrible character, and the writing style of just leaves me disinterested. I worked my way through the Icewind Dale trilogy and the Dark Elf trilogy, but the best the books ever invoked was an “Eh, that’s interesting.”

Erik J.

I recently read Dragonlance: the Second Generation and it was quite horrible. So there’s no way I’m going to have a Last Starfighter moment and re-read what I immensely loved at 13. Back then, there was nothing like it… and yes, I did read a whole bunch of Conan and failed miserably at reading LOTR. But I’ll watch this if I ever get around to signing up for Netflix.

Oh, and the second trilogy was way better. I’ll take Caramon over Tanis as protagonist anyday.

Sure he’s a hack. But I thought he did a pretty good job in the Dark Elf Trilogy (not the IWD Trilogy which was… eh). I could actually read those three books and enjoy them although the third was definitely the weakest. I looked at some of his other stuff and could tell I wouldn’t like it. Plus I never forgave him for Chewie.

But Dragonlance? Oh please. Even when I was a sweaty 15 year-old D&D geek I couldn’t get past the 2nd book of that crap.

Salvatore lost his saving throw versus putrid drek (wisdom 15, why didn’t he take his time for 20?) when he gave a high elf the battle cry of “For the good of all goodly folk”.

No. Absolutely not. Not in a million years. While Weiss and Hickman are mere hacks, Salvatore is a prose assassin.

Of the extra dragonlance universe novels, they pretty much all sucked. Though one i liked was by Richard Knaak, it was about Huma, the guy who is a big legend in all the other books. I haven’t reread it, so it could be just a golden memory.

Yeah, let’s not drag the five hundred, “Cha ching, time to cash in,” Dragonlance books into the discussion as though they are the final arbiter of the quality of Dragonlance.

You may not like the original series either, but stating that the Chronicles of Palinus or Adventures of the Seed of a Randy Flint are emblematic of the first series or two isn’t wholly fair.

I liked a lot of Dragonlance. Personally, I liked the brother trilogy the best though. This was as a teenager. I read the final book they did and hated it, but I was an adult then (it was 8 years ago, I’m guessing?). Anyway, I don’t read fantasy for the prose, so it has to be pretty bad to phase me.

Summer Flame was legitimately good, mostly because of the character genocide