Dragon's Dogma 2 - AKA GOTY Year TBD

What a base and trifling creature is the game developer. Yet at once he is the master of this empyreal flow, grand as all the heavens.

Here’s a potentially interesting event:

22 March 2024!! That’s soon!

To quote Rurikhan:
“My biggest concern now is Elden Ring DLC. If Elden Ring DLC is in March, I’m fucked. It’s over.”

The showcase today was about 10 minutes of pretty pedestrian information. It’s 10 minutes long. The video below should begin at the start of the presentation:

Not pictured in the above vid: The rather spicy price point and the fact it’s using Denuvo.
Also, the Mystic Knight class is suspiciously absent from both previews and website.

Eh, I’ll wait for some more infos prior to release.

Greenman Gaming has DD2 @ 18% off for preorders. There is a standard edition [$69.99] and a deluxe edition [$79.99] which includes your normal assortment of starter weapons and other junk. I guess $70 is the new price for a AAA game? Yikes!

I got the original for $12 in a Humble monthly and played it for about 150 hours, so personally I’m really not bothered by paying well for the new one. This is the rare kind of situation where I don’t mind pre-ordering, in fact.

I knew it seemed too good to be true.

That’s one of the rare cases where I’ll compromise on my policy of not buying Denuvo. The price point makes it difficult though.

Capcom loves money!

Funny enough, Steam wants 64.99/74.99 €urobucks for the game over here. Usually, we get a 1:1 conversion rate to the Dollar price.

Regardless, I need more infos on the included classes. And no preorders until those come in. What I’ve seen so far didn’t really vibe with me.

I feel like Mystic Knight isn’t going to make the cut. It was a weird class that sort of combined magic and melee, but was really more about hitting a ball to shoot balls at things. Which is weird.

The Mystic Spearhand is the Warrior/Mage advanced class and it seems unlikely they’d have 2 of them, unless it’s the Rogue/Mage class? I can’t even remember now, but I swear it was red/blue.
Then again they have Trickster and it’s purple and pink which is two not even classes, so maybe that system is out (though everything else seems to follow it so far).

It’s the first time Capcom is jumping to the $70 price point, so it seems like a good sign for this game to me. It sounds like they have confidence in this game being the one that people will be willing to pay the increased price for.

I won’t mind swallowing the full price if it’s as good as it looks. Dragon’s Dogma was a sleeper hit for me and I have the itch to play again just looking at the new trailer.

And if you check out the info for the Deluxe Edition, it mentions “Rift Crystals”, which means there might be microtransactions of some sort…

The Deluxe Edition includes the base game and the add-on “A Boon for Adventurers - New Journey Pack”.

A Boon for Adventurers - New Journey Pack:

• Explorer’s Camping Kit - Camping Gear
  • Dragon’s Dogma Music & Sound Collection - Custom Sounds
  • Harpysnare Smoke Beacons - Harpy Lure Item
  • Heartfelt Pendant - A Thoughtful Gift
  • Ambivalent Rift Incense - Change Pawn Inclinations
  • Makeshift Gaol Key - Escape from gaol!
  • Art of Metamorphosis - Character Editor
  • Wakestone - Restore the dead to life! (A)
  • 1500 Rift Crystals - Points to Spend Beyond the Rift

Rift Crystals were in the first game. You earn them in game and use them to summon pawns. Pawns at your level cost nothing, as do pawns of your friends at any level. Rift Crystals are only useful to get a pawn a few levels above you so you don’t out-level them and need to someone new too fast.

Yeah, I know, but that is how they were used in DD1. We don’t know what changed, or if that’s still the case in DD2. It is completely possible that they might get used for other stuff here, so I think it’s prudent to leave a warning.

Spider-Man 2 preorders came with bonus ability points when you start the game. It would not be rational to see that in a promo and start warning people it’s gonna be a vector for microtransactions. This is no different. We know from the first game what they are, how you earn them, what they’re used for, and even why it would be nice to have some extra when starting the game. We know DD2 features the exact same pawn system, so speculating that Rift Crystals will have anything to do with microtransaction is, frankly, silly fearmongering.

I was going to post a similar sentiment when I posted about the sale, but after looking into it I decided that (at least in DD 1) Rift Crystals were a form of in-game currency used as described above and were not used as a microtransaction enabler. So I didn’t mention that.

Of course, DD2 may change that, but I’m gonna hold off worrying about it until I find out more details (by the same token I decided not to pre-order until more info is revealed).

I see no point in arguing, so I guess we’ll have to wait and see. For the record, I hope you’re right.