Dragon's Dogma

Uh, huh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6zhMjrue7U&feature=youtube_gdata_player

And

Dumb name…I find myself intrigued though, as it looks interesting, but this is the first I’ve heard of it.

• edit - adding link to a post of gamertags from later in the thread for convenience. Thanks Jonathan!

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showpost.php?p=3160102&postcount=450

This is the new Ubuntu?

I haven’t watched anything on this yet, but they were talking about it last nights Giantbombcast, if you were looking for more info.

It sounds kinda cool. Kinda like a cross between Oblivion and Monster Hunter, made by the guys behind Devil May Cry 4 for HD consoles and using the most generic western fantasy art design physically possible. Ironically, this makes it kinda charming.

7 types of games played when your wife is not at home!

Here’s the official announcement.

We’re extremely excited to announce a brand new title, Dragon’s Dogma!

Dragon’s Dogma is an exciting new franchise which redefines the action genre from the team that produced some of Capcom’s greatest action games. Set in a huge open world, Dragon’s Dogma offers an exhilarating and fulfilling action combat game with the freedom to explore and interact in a rich, living and breathing world. Alongside your party of three, you set out to track down and destroy a mysterious dragon. Your teammates fight independently of you, demonstrating prowess and ability they have developed based on traits learned over time from you and your actions. Dragon’s Dogma offers a near endless opportunity to help develop partner characters to fight alongside you. With an epic story and incredible action, Dragon’s Dogma is set to be one of Capcom’s newest hit franchises.

Check out art, screens, trailer, and other Dragon’s Dogma info below.

Features
• Highly Stylized Action Combat – The creators of this game were responsible for the action hits – Resident Evil® 4 and Devil May Cry® 4.
• Fight With Ability – The soul of combat comes down to how the game is played, where you strike the enemy, and how you react to their attacks.
• Accessible Depth – Bringing an unprecedented level of depth to the action genre, every decision has an effect on gameplay in an intuitive way that does not require micromanagement. The weight of your weapon, the material of your armor – even the length of your legs – plays a role in how you fight your battles, but does not interrupt the flow of the action.
• Epic Adventure – Dragon’s Dogma is built from the ground up as an action experience for consoles with a continuous, epic storyline that stands alone in style, scope and substance.
• Open World – Utilizing Capcom’s proprietary MT Framework engine and the groundbreaking graphical styles and lighting effects used in Resident Evil® 5 and Lost Planet® 2, Dragon’s Dogma expands the environment to create a vast, richly detailed world, ripe for exploration.
• A Rich Population – In addition to interacting with hundreds of fully voiced NPCs, you’ll be able to fight a large variety of creatures, from goblins to griffins and dragons. Each enemy requires a different strategy and provides a unique experience.

Genre: Action
Platforms: PS3™, Xbox 360®
Release Date: 2012
Rating: ESRB M (TBC)
Developer: Capcom
Publisher: Capcom

So you rely on companions, presumably either dumbass AI or co-op as in RE5. Sounds like it’s a pure fighting game and they aim for some kind of realistic physical combat system.

Sounds like a really odd bunch of features to put together, but at least it could be different (hopefully in a good way).

While I’m excited for the game…I have to say this may be one of the worst game titles ever.

Looks like an interesting take on the open world rpg. I could see myself giving this a shot.

Anyone else play this game at PAX? They had two demo stages, one where you fought some goblins and a griffon in a field and another one in a dungeon with a chimera boss at the end. The gameplay was like a mix between Monster Hunter and Demon’s Souls but a lot more forgiving. There wasn’t much else in the demo besides combat though. The lines for this game was pretty much non-existent but I really enjoyed it.

So is this like the Fantasy version of Lost Planet 2?

New screenshots.

I don’t know what it is, but I really want to play this game.

Whenever I think I’ve heard the worst game name ever, along comes another even worse name.

Stumbled accross a few videos showing off how this games and it’s various systems work and I have to say I’m super interested in this one now. It has some neat ideas and looks like it will be fun - especially for those who enjoyed games like Dark Souls.

Here is the video I saw yesterday.

This led me to watch a few more videos, including this one about classes and skills.

It’s basically Final Fantasy Tactics where you level up a job and earn job points to unlock skills, and if you buy a skill you “own it” and can use it when you are another class. So you could play a mage to unlock some cool spells, then swap over to play as an assassin and equip a few select spells that will synergize well with your assassin class. I am blown away that Capcom finally made/published a game I actually find fascinating!

And the final video from this guy is about pawns. You start with one pawn, who you create and level up as you do your main character, but you can recruit a “copy” of other players pawns and rate them. It’s a neat system.

I’d be picking this up day one if it wasn’ scheduled to drop a week after Diablo III. :) However, I’ll be following it with great interest, especially if they put out a PC version at some point.

K, this looks pretty awesome!

Don’t forget a dose of Dark Souls!

wow, that is impressive.

Finally some real detailed info. What initially sounded like a crazy mixed up bunch of features looks interesting.

I’m glad to see this is ending up with it’s own unique personality and is looking really good.

Here is an epic battle vs a couple of cyclops:

Notable:

• location based damage, attack the legs - they fall over, attack the head - stagger, attack the weapon arm - drop their weapon
  • mantling the cyclops a la shadow of the colossus
  • throwing exploding barrels at the goblins
  • throwing the goblin off the cliff
  • party chatter

I think this game looks fantastic. I as well just heard of it earlier in the week.

Another compelling aspect that I saw in a walkthrough video is that you really want to start a quest in the morning, so you can get back to town before night. Apparently, night time is terrifying and extremely dangerous.