Dreadnought (big spaceships, f2p team game, Yager dev)

Gameplay video

Wow that looks boring.

The thing that makes no sense to me is why am I going to take my dreadnaught into an area of mountains and canyons where it’s difficult to maneuver and see the enemy? Anything on that planet I don’t like, I’m just going to nuke from space. Spaceships are designed for space travel and space combat, that’s why they’re called “space” ships. The idea that I’m going to take one down into the atmosphere and maneuver it amidst mountains and canyons is ludicrous.

Because it looks cool.

Yeah, that subtracted me -10 hype.

I give you a few reasons from my infinity box.

• So you have a sense of scale. If I show a city below, and the cars are tiny, the thing you pilot is huge
  • So you have more strategic options, by hidding behind things
  • (minor) the distance from the shadow to your ship gives information about your position in the Z axis
  • (very subjetive) it allows for diverse scenarios
  • Failing With Style - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdkCpnGMyGw

It’s just a way to do naval style battles with a z axis and looks cool. I am quite interested in the game now. Don’t Gus it up.

What the heck does that mean?

We can keep personal comments out of the big spaceship thread surely. Why not remove that?

This was my thought as well when they mentioning being influenced by BSG.

It means he doesn’t like me, and decided to just drop that into a thread for no particular reason.

that’s not true at all, sorry you thought that :(

Just thought you were known for taking the serious road and was poking fun at sucking the fun out of things. sorry

Well, what do you expect when you use my name as a pejorative? Hard to see that in any other light. And “you suck the fun out of things” isn’t exactly complimentary, either.

As for how serious I am - that really depends on the context and subject matter. And perspective to a certain degree - mocking stupidity is a form of levity, even if you don’t personally see it that way. If you see my running commentary in The Last Ship thread as “sucking the fun out of things,” perhaps you should consider that it’s a matter of your sense of humor not matching mine.

1. I get plenty a sense of scale without this, put me in orbit around a planet, fly by a comet, etc. if you want me to see scale in space
  2. I get strategic options in space using asteroids, moons, nebula, you know things that actually make sense
  3. I’ve never needed this before in any 3d space game, why now?
  4. Diverse scenarios are more of a function of mission types/requirements. I remember Homeworld/Homeworld 2 having diverse scenarios and they stayed firmly in space.
  5. Also please note that Galactica was actually FALLING - only jumping to FLT saved her from crashing. Large spaceships aren’t generally designed for atmospheric flight though there are always exceptions in fiction

Lastly, most of these are really about game design/aesthetics, not the lack of logic of having spaceships duke it out just a few hundred yards above the planet surface. What logical reason could they have for descending so low? Makes little sense to me.

None, really. It’s one of those cases where the theme doesn’t make any particular sense. Not that I can think of a case where “giant vehicles flying at Nap of Earth” makes sense, whether they’re spacecraft or not.

It really depends on how much it bugs you. I always thought giant humanoid robotic fighting machines were pretty stupid, but I’ve played plenty of Mech games and enjoyed them despite that. I can simultaneously mock Front Mission 4 for its “Wanzers” and enjoy the game. It’s usually only a deciding factor when I don’t like the game anyway, and the stupid theming becomes just another negative to top off the others.

Well, I like the idea of giant dreadnoughts battling it out but not just above the earth. Kind of does away with any speed advantage since you can’t go very slow flying between mountains and canyons.

This is entering closed beta which you can get into by buying a founder’s pack.

Also, I have some invites as well since I bought a pack if anyone is interested. I have four slots, send me your email to send the invite to in a PM only please.

Been playing this a lot and streaming it a little. Really enjoying it so far, though like most team oriented games I hate people since they always seem to do the wrong thing. lol

Also it’s first to 100 points, 5 points per kill and somehow I just lost a match where my team’s kills added up to 29 and everyone on my team had a positive k/d while two of theirs did not. was a bit boggling.

I bought in but only played the tutorial. The game looks great and the spaceships are cool.

I ran in to a major problem though in that the new season in diablo 3 starts this weekend too.

I’ve had this for a while, was invited into the beta, it’s huge ships dishing it out, it’s pretty awesome. Way better than the other one out there, also it’s set both on land and in space, so there.