Dream Quest for iOS

As requested by the wise Nightgaunt, here is a place to talk about Dream Quest.

What fun I’ve had with this game. I never thought I’d ever enjoy a deck-builder until I saw it used for fantasy violence :P

I’ve still only beaten the game once, as a Samurai. Has anyone had success with, say, the Priest? He seems very tough to me.

The Samurai has a LOT of things going for him: full HP regen for beating an equal or higher level enemy, two sorcerous attack cards that do good damage, are upgradeable, and give him mana, and a super mana based attack. Extremely flexible and effective.

What have your experiences been like?

I keep trying to win with a mage now but no luck so far. Still just one win with a thief. I haven’t come up with a good strategy for the monk yet either. Did get to the final boss with one though.

When I won with a monk (my only victory, and I got the final-final boss down under 750), it involved a bunch of the cards that give +actions, some card drawing, Preparation, and Coup de Grace.

Win? I can’t even get to the third floor!

So far my only win has been with Professor, and have came close several other times with him as well. I haven’t really got close with any other class yet, but Professor is also so damn fun and has so many options that I haven’t put a ton of time into others.

The Monk seems like he should be a relatively easy one to get far, as the piercing damage is brutal and being able to whittle down your deck is a great skill but I haven’t lucked into the right mix of cards to win with it yet.

It’s sort of an odd game starting out because I went with a lot of Warrior and Priest early thinking that’d be the “easy” classes to have success with, and I think they’re actually the hardest to start with.

I just unlocked Bard with points so curious to give it a try and see what it is like.

I was skeptical about this game when I read some of the opinions about the game in the other thread, but boy I’m enjoying it. I’ve played this for 15-20 hours or so, mostly as the priest. I think I’ve gotten to the 3rd level but got destroyed by the boss. How many levels are there?

Spoilers just in case -> [SPOILERS=There are 3 levels so you were almost there!][/SPOILER]

3 plus a final boss.

I’ve played the hell out of this and continue to. So easy to just get into, make interesting choices, die, repeat.

I love this game. brutally hard, but awesome.

I love this game, too. Admittedly was a bit disappointed by the Bard, after working to unlock it.

So far, my favorites are the professor and the dragon, since there’s just so much variability in what you’ll get. Dragon snacking is especially fun.

It took me forever to unlock the Monk and I don’t know that I’m anywhere near unlocking anything else. The achievements that unlocked new cards came frequently at first, but I haven’t earned anything new in a long time.

I still haven’t won with any character. I haven’t touched it in a week or two, but I must have played at least 25 hours.

Personally, I find the monk or samurai to be the easiest “first win” characters, if you have enough achievement points to unlock them. For base characters, I think the warrior and the thief are pretty straightforward.

Be very cautious about adding cards to your deck-- gear towards what you need for the final battles, not the early or mid ones. Hell, a single third level elemental slash card can often get you through the first 1.5 floors. Ultimately, card drawing is your most precious resource. Nothing worse than a crap card when you only needed a few more points of damage.

Absolutely. I give a lot of weight to removing cards. Those Attack 1 cards are not only dead weight in your deck, but it takes a lot of resources to upgrade them to still be a pretty unimpressive card in the late game.

I don’t think I was very aggressive adding cards to the deck and like slantz I remove some when I can. Most of my games were as a priest, but I did try a game with each of the others that were unlocked, including the samurai. I’ll give it another go. Lately I’ve been playing a lot of MM Dual of Champions

Of the basic classes, I personally find the priest the toughest. It’s very easy to find yourself building a jack-of-all trades, collecting different types of cards, and then getting your butt kicked.

On adding cards, I generally ask myself whether I’d mind drawing that particular card in the battle against the 3rd floor boss. That means I leave a lot of stuff behind in chests and pass by several stores without buying a thing. As mentioned, I find that a single third level elemental slash (particularly in a small deck where it comes back around quickly) is often all you need to get halfway through.