Dreamcast

HOTD2 is sweet, if you have a light gun (not sure if you can score those any more - might want to check e-bay again).

I’m a big KOF fan too. Worth getting arcade sticks for, if you like 2D fighters.

Now, go buy Powerstone and Soul Calibur.

YOU MUST BUY TECH ROMANCER!

Not too bad a deal with five games. NCAA 2K2 FOOTBALL - Decent but I think the reviews pegged it as kind of buggy, believe it or not. THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD 2 - Fantastic. You should be able to get a light gun at EB or on Ebay with little problem. Well worth it. NBA 2K2 - If you love basketball, it doesn’t get much better. Only the newer 2K3 is a step up. THE KING OF FIGHTERS - Depends which of the series it is, but they’re all good. If it’s Dream Match 1999 that’s a little less interesting than Evolution (to me anyway) WORLD SERIES BASEBALL 2K1 - Probably the weakest of the bunch. WSB 2K1 is the one with automatic fielding. One of the worst reviewed DC sports games. But hey, four out of five isn’t bad.

Three controllers is good. If the system only had RF to connect it like it shows in the picture, that’s kind of sucky. Try to find the RCA cables (standard with every DC) or if you’ve got the inputs, SVHS is another better option.

You’ve seen the lists above. Check out my link to my collection if you need a place to start reading some reviews. If you have any interest in 3D fighters, you should definitely find Soul Calibur immediately. MrAngryFace is right about Tech Romancer, it’s a fantastic game and lots of fun in single or multiplayer but a love of anime helps you enjoy it all the more. Capcom’s titles are mostly top notch so you can’t go wrong with their games on the system. Don’t listen to Tom on Shenmue either. I think it’s a great step toward a more cinematic game for “everyone”, not just hardcore gamers or casual gamers alone.

If you’ve got friends, and we all hope you do (;)), then I can’t say enough about San Francisco Rush 2049 and four players. That’s still one of the top mutiplayer racing games on any system. Right up there is Test Drive Le Mans. Great stuff.

I hope you enjoy it! It’s still a shame about the DC. My two systems are in use all the time by my kids and me. So many of the genres represented on that system in large numbers are all but forgotten now on the new consoles. It’s a great system for shooters and 2D fighters. All of Sega’s great original titles on the system are worth getting too. If you’re at all interested in imports, it’s easy to play them. Do a search on “Utopia Boot Disc” and you can make your own bootable region changing disc. That will allow you to buy Japanese or US games. There are a bunch of great Japanese games that never made it here like Rez, Ikaruga and Guilty Gear X. As long as you import action games and the like, translation is never an issue.

Have fun!

–Dave

so i received my used ebay dreamcast the other day. is it normal for this machine to make noise when reading the disk? it sounds something like the head of a floppy disk drive moving back and forth. it’s not really bothersome, i’m just concerned that this guy may have sold me a bad unit. i’ve already found him to be somewhat untrustworthy, since one of the games he sold me is pirated and another is scratched to the point of unplayability.

i not really into any of the games i got with the machine, but i borrowed sega tennis 2k2 from a friend, and am enjoying that one quite a bit. nice graphics on this machine. i’ve only played a bit of ps2 a year or so ago, but by my memory it looked no better.

I believe that the ‘reading’ noise is normal-my Dreamcast is the same way.

Pretty funny about the pirated game actually.

Anyway, the Dreamcast is definately noisy as all hell. Totally normal.

Wait til he gives you positive feedback, then give him some pretty nasty feedback about defrauding you and pushing pirated merchandise.