Drinks That You've Mixed Lately (That Are Interesting)

That’s actually what I’m using :-)

I don’t drink much these days, but because I seem to be moderately allergic to most whiskeys, I used to make Rum Manhattans as my go-to. I don’t know if they have a cute name, although I sometimes call them Nuyo-Ricans.

Here’s some nice bitter stuff:

Insert any rye + amaro combination here, such as…

or the upside - down drink [because bitters is a main component of the drink, instead of just a few drops]

And to add some protein to your drink (and god damn, the texture of this drink is amazing, you could even call it…the mouth feel):

“Flip” drinks are pretty awesome.

@Madmarcus Maybe this? Looks like your recipe, but adds some extra elements.

Interesting twist. I’ll have to remember that but somehow a flip or nog type recipe doesn’t jump out at me in springtime.

I’m gonna try this next time. How much, just a little drip? A pour? A glug?

I would start small and work your way up. I like just a splash but I also am a bourbon straight up fan.

I feel like it’s the kind of thing where your subconscious knows how much maple syrup it wants so just let it handle it. There’s no right way to make a drink except the way you like it.

Yeah, I just tried it. Good suggestion!

I actually just started BSG on the SyFy website. Potato quality but very fun so far, drink in hand… what pandemic?

Huh. ya know, the first couple seasons of BSG might be just what The Doctor ordered (since that season just ended).

Chocolate and Milk

Went pretty simple tonight: the Bee’s Knees, a lovely, well-balanced cocktail. The botanicals in the gin, the robust sweetness of honey, and the citric tang of lemon juice come together perfectly.

The Bee’s Knees

• 1oz Lemon Juice
  • 3/4oz 2:1 Honey Syrup (see below)
  • 2oz London Dry Gin
  • Ice to Shake

To make honey syrup, combine 2 parts honey to one part well-warmed water and vigorously stir or shake to combine. Keep in the fridge for up to a month.

For the cocktail, combine all ingredients in your shaker tin, seal it, and shake vigorously until the tin is frosted over, about ten to fifteen seconds.

Double strain into a chilled cocktail glass and serve immediately.

Just made your latest one but with vodka instead of gin (all I had on hand) Armando. Thanks for turning me on to fresh lemon juice and sweetness. Very good.

The handy thing about a lot of the classic cocktail canon is that you’re basically just making boozy lemonade or limeade, sometimes with fizzy stuff, over and over again. And that’s pretty okay by me!

Oh very nice choice! The Bee’s Knees lives up to it’s name.

A cocktail that’s a bit niche but is one of my favourites:

A few favourite sites:

http://postprohibition.com/

Oh, the 9th Ward wound fascinating. I also happen to have some Falernum despite it being basically entirely unavailable in the state of NC, and am always down for excuses to use it.

You might like this one:

or the related:

Mixing chartreuse and cherry liquor and citrus gives you something like an uber-complex whiskey sour. These two are almost the same, and yet very different drinks.

Yeah, this was my first time making a Last Word at home, and it was really lovely. I find Green Chartreuse overwhelming in many cases, but it fits so well into r flavor profile of the LW. Looking forward to trying some of the others over the next few nights, esp since my attempt to grab some dry vermouth today was stymied by it being Sunday, lol.

Got around to the 9th Ward tonight. Tbh I think I’d or it more with normally proofed bourbon; it was a little stiff. I might have also accidentally overshot the 1.5oz marker on my jigger and gone with it. Maybe a bit of both.

I do really like the spicy notes from the falernum and creole bitters. I’m actually cooking Cajun food this week, so a little time spent with Nawlins drinks wouldn’t be amiss…

Went for this tonight and adore it. I got some Redemption Rye on sale early last month, so after my old Evan Williams finally ran out this week, it was time to break it in with something special. I figure that combining it with two of my most expensive bottles (the Chartreuse and the Maraschino) would be pretty reasonable!

Seriously, that’s a damn fuckin good cocktail.

Other posts from my FB journey this week:

Tonight, another beloved classic, done as well as I know how: the whiskey sour. Creamy and smooth, tangy and sweet, and gorgeous to look at. Not much more to say.

The Whiskey Sour

• 1 Egg White (optional) (but not REALLY)
  • 1oz Lemon Juice
  • 3/4oz Simple Syrup
  • 2oz Whiskey
  • Ice to Shake
  • Angostura Bitters and Maraschino Cherry to Garnish

Combine the egg white (it provides extra frothiness and texture, but if you don’t trust your eggs, I’m not gonna hold it against you if you leave it out), lemon juice, simple syrup, and whiskey in a cocktail shaker. You can go with bourbon to enhance to natural sweetness of the drink, or rye to add some extra spice notes for the Angostura to play off in the finished drink. Or maybe because you need to kill the least bit of an old bottle of rye you’re eager to replace…

Seal the tin as well as you can and shake vigorously without ice at first, about 15-20 seconds, until it’s extremely frothy. This first “dry” shake is to incorporate and begin foaming the egg white, but because your shaker isn’t cold, the seal won’t be very good. Hold it tight and keep an eye on it for leaks!

Add the ice and shake another 10-15 seconds to chill and dilute. One big piece of tempered ice (ice that isn’t straight from the freezer isn’t as liable to crack and splinter when shaken) works best.

Strain into a rocks glass slowly, optionally with a brandied maraschino cherry in the bottom. Drizzle with a few dots of the bitters for an artistic garnish and serve!

Tonight, we’ll stay in the Big Easy for awhile and enjoy the town’s official drink, the Sazerac. Boozy, spicy, and aromatic with lemon oil and anise, it’s certainly as vivacious and loud as Nawlins herself. Also, perhaps, a little too stiff for my tastes, but hey, what’s the point of a journey if you already know all the stops?

The Sazerac

• 1 Sugar Cube
  • Splash Water or Soda Water
  • 2 dashes Angostura Bitters
  • 3 dashes Peychaud’s Bitters
  • 2oz Rye Whiskey
  • Rinse/Spray of Absinthe
  • Ice to Stir and Serve
  • Lemon Twist for Garnish

In a stout mixing glass, combine the sugar cube with the bitters and, if needed, just a bit of water to help you muddle it down till mostly dissolved. Add in the whiskey and enough ice to cover comfortably and stir with a barspoon, swirling around the outside of the glass for 20-30 seconds or until the mixing glass has begun to get frosty.

In a double rocks glass, rinse with absinthe (add a very small quantity and swirl to coat, discarding excess) or, if you don’t like being wasteful, look into a cheap atomizer/spritzer and spray the inside of the glass, instead.

Strain the mixed cocktail into the rocks glass and serve with ice. Express the oils from a wide strip of lemon zest over the drink and, optionally, serve with the zest in or resting on top of the glass.

I was going to make a lemon drop martini(s) tonight, but decided to be good.