Drinks That You've Mixed Lately (That Are Interesting)

Drinks with egg whites are really good - super nice texture / mouthfeel. That sounds great, and I agree it sounds Last Word inspired - but that’s one of my favorite cocktails.

Made some of Greg-from-HTD’s pumpkin spice latte syrup. A reduced version, cuz my syrup bottles are small (and this was still too much to fit in a 16oz bottle, oops):

How to Drink’s Pumpkin Spice Syrup

• 215g Pumpkin Pie Puree (half a 14oz can)
  • 430mL Water
  • 430g Demerara Sugar
  • 2 tsp Dried Ginger
  • 1 tsp Cinnamon
  • 4 cloves
  • 1 tsp Vanilla

Boil, strain well, and bottle with an ounce of vodka to help it keep.

How To Drink’s Cold Brew Pumpkin Spice Latte

• 2 oz PSL Syrup
  • 2 oz Mr. Black Cold Brew Liqueur

Shake over ice, strain, and serve. I added some whipped cream (well, half n half; my heavy cream went bad) and topped with more powdered spices.

Rum-kin Spice Pie

• 2oz PSL Syrup
  • 2oz Smith & Cross Navy Strength Jamaican Rum
  • 2 dashes Angostura Bitters

Shake over ice and strain. Top with lightly whipped cream and a sprinkling of baking spices. My own recipe and, if I do say so myself, goddamned delicious.

French Ginger Martini with Domaine de Canton are dangerously tasty. Plus the bottle makes for a swanky addition to the bar.

(the ex-Rose’s grenadine bottle is holding some orgeat atm)

Trying to recreate a very tasty drink we had at the arcade bar that @Clay, @sillhouette, @Skipper, @Zephyr, and I went to pre-pandemic, the E. Honda. Theirs is a bit different, in terms of the triple sec and whisky used, and obviously, the menu didn’t list ingredient amounts, so I’m flying blind, but I settled on a blend I like.

Feeling:

• 1 1/2 oz Japanese Whisky
  • 1 oz Yuzu Sake
  • “fat” 1/2 oz Lime Juice
  • 1/4 oz Orgeat
  • 1/4 oz Grand Marnier
  • 1/4 oz “Cointreau”

And TBH, I am 99% certain you could go fully Grand Marnier (and/or cognac-based curacao of your choice) or Cointreau (and/or neutral grain spirit-based triple sec of your choice) and gain very little by combining the two. The orgeat does important work, though.

I’ll have to give that a try. My mixology skills have been limited to mostly gin and tonic, but I have been making a lot of Sazeracs lately after getting some absinthe past the ABC cops. As I would rather budget more calories from alcohol than sugar, I am making my simple syrup with monk fruit. I think I have found the water to sweetener ratio necessary to avoid having a lump of rock candy the next day.

I wish I’d tried one of those drinks there. The beer was good too though.

This is quite good.

As a Guatemalan, I deeply approve of this choice.

I’m intolerant of whiskey (unknown reasons, but it gives me stomach problems), and have been making Rum Manhattans for years. I always keep a bottle of Zacapa around, but never really mix with it on account of its quality and cost.

Belated thanks for this!

We’ve been drinking these the last two weeks, and really enjoying them. (Though I did go somewhat down-market and use Captain Morgan)

Oh man, I am absolutely grabbing one of these; this looks very easy. (Like Morganthaler, I’ve been using an OXO Y-peeler for years)

Unrelated, but here’s the drink list I served for my friend Cord’s Halloween party, borrowing heavily from some awesome local Raleigh bars’ fall menus (albeit having to guess at the exact proportions in many of them since most menus don’t list that), along with some classics and a couple of originals.

I had a jug of this amazing apple juice and some really tasty cranberry juice, I mixed them both up with a bit of Fireball and it was not only delicious, but it tasted seasonal!

A great seasonal drink that is close to that.

One part cinnamon whiskey (fireball), Cointreau (triple sec) and Amaretto. Four parts cranberry. Over ice and some like a splash of ginger ale but I usually don’t.

Nice tip on the cheese slicer. Here I am not even using my Oxo y-peeler but breaking out a paring knife instead, lol. I feel like I’ve just seen inside the ark now at all this knowledge and my face will melt shortly.

I hate to junk up the thread with a simple drink but I’ve been diving into margaritas of late, and I’d never really made them the way they were supposed to be made until now:

1 1/2 oz tequilla
1 oz triple sec
3/4 oz lime juice
Small amount of ice

• Shake like a mofo
  • Strain or pour in with ice if you want it on the rocks

I’ve been changing things up but also researching what others like and have tried multiple variations.

There is a really nice writeup being used by more and more bars here about extending your lime (and other) juices. The bartender crowd has come up with something known as super juice, which is detailed here but also in the video below. I have instead gone with a concentrate that holds up quite well and lets me extend my few normal limes without breaking the bank, Nellie & Joe’s Key Lime Juice. This saves me a ton of limes and makes my own private Margaritaville something that doesn’t cost as much.

At any rate, sharing the video, I’m not sure this is home use kind of involvement but for sure it’s VERY popular right now in bars for the cost savings and for extending what fruits they do have to stay … well, greener in a sense.

Back to margaritas tonight, I think I spot a pattern with crappy Mondays and mixed drinks here.

At any rate, last week my ex-bartender wife saw me run out of Cointreau (orange liquor) for the margaritas so she said, “any fruit will work.” I was skeptical. “But we have no fruit liquor, babe,” was my retort. Oh how little I know. Similar to the way she can cook dishes, ingredients to her are just a base, she can modify on the fly while bartending. To her, a good bartender can never NOT make something, it’s just coming up with substitutions that fill the gap. And she came up with this:

Mango Cayenne Margarita:
2 1/2 oz tequila (makes up for the lack of triple sec / orange liquor)
3-4 small pieces of mango (maybe 1oz)
1 very small piece of cayenne, maybe 1/5 of a normal cayenne but we dice and freeze them and just pull them out when needed in a dish
1/2 teaspoon of sugar
1 small shake of salt
3/4 oz lime juice
3/4 oz water
crushed ice

Dice the mango very fine. Put the mango, sugar, small piece of cayenne, and one brief shake of salt into a glass and muddle until very mushy. Add tequila, crushed ice, lime juice, and water. Shake vigorously and pour into serving glass. Garnish with fruit wedge of your choice.

It was AMAZING. Whipped up on the fly like it was nothing. Now I’ve been recreating it this evening trying to learn her process. We have some other diced frozen fruit, I think I’ll be trying some.

Oh that sounds LOVELY. Also y’all need some Ancho Reyes liqueur!

Oh wow, just looked that up. It sounds fantastic. You found that here at the ABC stores? If so I’ll look on my next trip. I’ll also be using that app @Timex recommended for tequila.

What are you mixing of late, Armando?

I can’t remember if I see it locally or not, tbh. Haven’t been in an ABC store very often, hah.

And sadly not mixing much of anything. Been on a real down spell as of late, and getting absolutely crushed by work, so never have the time or motivation to do much.

I’m getting crushed by work as well and we’ve been out only a bit so I feel like we’re substituting going out by just having a drink or bbq at the house.

But I’ve had work dread for some time now. The stress is very much affecting me. Here’s hoping for a lighter summer and getting away from work for a bit. Take care of yourself with that work stress, Armando.