Driving in parking lots: Right angles or straight across the middle?

Some states assert that law enforcement are authorized to enforce the laws on any private property where ever the public has a right to travel by motor vehicle.

I think the behavior talked about above (cutting through parking spaces with disregard to other motorists or pedestrians) would be covered under reckless or careless driving.

The cop wrote “illegal cut-through” if I remember correctly for the first part. The other part he got her was for being at fault for the wreck.

I know here, if you cut through a business lot to avoid waiting at a stop light, the cops will definitely ticket you. There’s an Exxon here in north Austin that people will cut through to get onto the southbound frontage of I-35 instead of waiting for the traffic light to turn right onto the frontage road. The cops sit in a hidey spot in that gas station’s parking lot, and grab people all the time.

Thats Texas Transportation Code Statute § 545.423.

CROSSING PROPERTY.
(a) An operator may not cross a sidewalk or drive through a driveway, parking lot, or business or residential entrance without stopping the vehicle.
(b) An operator may not cross or drive in or on a sidewalk, driveway, parking lot, or business or residential entrance at an intersection to turn right or left from one highway to another highway.
Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

So if you’re gonna do it, park, get out, make a big show of pretending that you forgot something, then get back in and drive off.

I tend to drive assertively. (You people are all in my way.) I mean to get where I’m going, and anything that hampers that, such as people driving like morons, makes me irate. I touch the wheel of a vehicle, and in that instant am prepared to go batshit insane over the smallest act of driving fucktardery. You do something stupid in front of me, like switch lanes without checking your blind spot or mirrors, and I could kill you with no remorse. Seriously.

That being said, I refuse to acknowledge parking lots as being governed by any sort of traffic regulation. Parking lots are FFA deathmatch. Good luck to you, and let the best man win.

Depends.

Walmart: Fuck you, thats [i]MY[/i] spot, assclown.

Mall: Hell no. Not the ring of death that is my closest mall. I stick to the outsides, and send out scouting parties for a good parking spot. Its not uncommon to see my parked at the very last spot, standing outside my car with my cellphone, while 2 man fire-teams storm around the mall entrance lot, looking for a good spot, and then stake claim while I drive up.

Otherwise, i’m an extremely aggressive driver. Like, borderline unhealthy aggressive.

Yet, I will never drive between 2 cars that don’t have at least 3 spaces inbetween, with no real visible opposition to my lane change.

Well, I’ve got a shotgun in the back of my truck. Nuff said.

if you cut through a business lot to avoid waiting at a stop light, the cops will definitely ticket you.

Well yeah but thats not really the same as cutting through the parking lot.

I do the same thing.

I want a WW1 machine gun mounted on the front of my car. Better yet, twin machine guns. They don’t even have to work.

This sounds about right. I’ll only do it an a pretty un-filled lot, and I’ll only do it when there aren’t any cars parked nearby (like 4 spaces on either side).

Parking lots are the prime showcase for how fuck-stupid people can act when they’re just not paying attention to what they do.

That’s perfect! I’ll take two.

I do not follow the lines in parking lots unless the lot is full enough that crossing lines limits my sight lines significantly. Unless the lot is pretty empty, I drive at a pretty slow pace. If the lot is empty, all bets are off.

That said, I have a nice car and I’m the one parked way-out from most people so my doors don’t get dinged.