Driving My Life Away

I was just doing my expenses for August and counted up my total miles. I am covering Northern California for my law firm, appearing at workers’ comp boards from Fresno to Redding, living in Sacramento.

So how many miles did I log in August? A thousand? Fifteen hundred? Two thousand?

No. I racked up 2,703 miles in August.

Oh, and I have another 382 mile round trip tomorrow morning to Fresno. Jesus wept. Dammnit Jim, I’m a lawyer not a truck driver!

Time for some Eddie Rabbit:

Can we get some Radar Love up in here?

What do you do to pass the time in the car?

Audiobooks!

Yeah I average 2,200 miles a month for work also. Thats why I always get the top level trim of any vehicle I purchase, I am in it for hours.

Are you guys looking forward to self-driving cars?

Congrats! You’re now an honorary Texan. Where distances are measured in hours, and 200 miles a day round trip, when working, can well be considered just another weekday.

It blows my mind to see 2,700 miles a month in driving! A trip from the south of Malaysia (say Singapore) to the North is just 375 miles one way and it is very tiring driving that long (for me) so I cannot imagine how you could get any work done having to be on the road for such distance for a month !

If you’re starving for stuff to listen to, check out the ‘Revolutions’ podcast (from the maker of the History of Rome podcast). I’m really enjoying it.

Damn, dude. That’s a lot of miles.

You ever get to San Jose or nearby and feel like a beer, lemme know.

Before I moved to work in Singapore for a short stint, I had a phone interview with someone there. He said, “Hey, I’ll be on a business trip to San Francisco in 2 weeks. Why don’t you drive over to meet me and have a face-to-face interview?” I had to tell him that I can’t, I live in Ottawa.
“Isn’t that maybe 5 hours away?”
“Yes, by plane.”

Ha ha ha … that guy probably failed in his Geography. It’s also two different countries!

And yet…

that’s … that’s interesting ! You got me there !