Drox Operative (Soldak's New Game)

Hell I can’t hit the broadside of a barn with those using k/m

Controls are still kind of killing this game for me. I like the controller better, but still feel handicapped by them. Just running around shooting what is closest to me is kind of boring. It’s making me think I should just go learn how to play Starsector.

So I’m having the problem that I’ve explored the first system I appeared in, but when I go to any other within the sector I’m immediately mobbed by “monster” ships that kill me in about 10 seconds no matter what I do. Little help? Keep doing quests in the first system somehow?

Is it any system, or a particular system that’s kicking your ass? If it’s a particular system, avoid it while you level up some more. If it’s any system, yeah, you need to level up in the main system a bit more.

Well, I played some more and made it to level 5 and everything started going tits up. An Ancient Race had shown up early in the main system and started kicking everyone’s ass, and I was even at war (as Human) with the Dryad for a bit (have no idea how). Managed to reestablish peace with them but it was too late. I think I just need to start over, because the Hezog ancient race is dominating all (including me). I think I just can’t recover, honestly, and not being able to quit without saving doesn’t help.

I wonder if I should just disable the Ancients DLC for my first playthrough.

Yeah, same here. I was allied with the Fringe and the Drakk. Even got them to ally with each other. Figure I’ll win now. Then boom, the Hezog show up. The Fringe are no longer the most powerful race. The Hezog are knocking off planets and declare war on Drox. I think I’m pretty much screwed.

By the way, don’t know if anyone else ran into this bug, but as soon as I upgraded to the level 5 ship my primary weapon stopped working, and it happened to be right as a critical battle was supposed to start, which couldn’t have been worse timing. I had to save and exit and then resume to get it to work again.

Is there any way to exit without saving?

Regarding the ancient races, I guess the strategy must be to form alliances​ with other races against them from the beginning, because the Hezog at least seemed to have it in for the Drox from the get go.

Hey, quick question for veterans of the game: I’m on the verge of helping the strongest race (Dryad) in my starting sector win a military victory, but for the life of me I can’t find a better engine for my ship. I look for one everywhere (both when trading with a planet and out among space debris) and no joy.
When I look at the drive tech that the Dryad possess (when I click the button on the relationship management screen), it’s superior to what I’ve got, and the game tells me to right click or hit space bar to buy, but when I do that, nothing happens. Anyone know what I’m doing wrong?

For those that passed on the Steam sale, GamersGate has it on sale for $5.00. DLC is another $2.50.

After playing it a bit, I like it but I find it a bit frantic and wish there was a way to pause the game and make some decisions.

There is a pause button. Don’t know offhand what it is on the keyboard, but if you’re using a 360 Controller it’s the start button.

BTW I got a response on the Steam forums from the dev. Despite what the game tells you on the tech screen for a particular race, you can’t buy anything there, it’s just a bug/oversight.

I’m down to one dominant race (to which I’m allied) and one holdout race that they’re at war with and I want to know how I can accelerate the inevitable. Should I just attack and destroy the ships of the holdout race?

If it were me I’d totally help with that. ;)

I didn’t see it in the manual, but in the options screen it is “p” on the keyboard. Well done, Soldak, hiding it in plain sight.

I’m kind of embarrassed now.

This is a pretty neat game. I’m reading this thread to try to figure stuff out but boy can you bet I’ll be asking questions. Soldak needs to give @BrianRubin a 2% commission because I bought this game solely on his say-so in another thread. I’m a Drox Operative!

Yaaayyy! Thrill at the 4X that plays around you and enjoy the ride.

What’s even better is that I downloaded the demo briefly because it was there and I saw it looked maybe like a little bit janky, hesitated, then thought, “Nope, if Brian says this is the best thing out there, then there must be a whole bunch of stuff underneath here I’m gonna discover.” So I just bought the full version and jumped in. Turns out that was a 100% correct assumption!

As did I. Worth every penny.

This is a very good starting out guide.

After replacing my 1680x1050 monitor with a 2560x1440 monitor, I change the resolution in the game to match and I’m left with this:

That’s the content of the entire screen. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled, but it persists. Any ideas?

Try toggling to window mode and back with alt-enter.

Or maybe try run in the borderless window mode if that fails.

Also try deleting the user.cfg from C:\ProgramData\DroxOperative\User\ (the folder may be elsewhere if not on win10)

Thanks for the input. I had already tried using alt-enter and deleting my user files, but neither made a difference. The Borderless Window advanced option didn’t, either. For some reason, it doesn’t like that resolution. Are you running it successfully at 2560x1440?