Drug Goes From $13.50 a Tablet to $750, Overnight

Given the judges comments, I doubt it.

He’s like Lex Luther, only dumber. Cartoonishly evil.

Is that actually real?? I read it earlier and thought it was a parody article.

Harpers does a lot of satire IIRC so I’m pretty sure it’s fake.

If so, a lot of people fell for it…

And my favorite:

That’s practically Yogi Berra quality.

Yeah, I saw a lot of reporting where they presented it as true, but everyone I saw credited Harper’s with the story. So I have no idea, because Harper’s never made it clear. With such an unbelievable story, I wish they’d made it explicit. I still give the whole thing a 50/50 on whether or not it’s real. A judge sitting through that and allowing that sort of talk would bias the eventual jury so much, I imagine you could get the whole case thrown out. Though, IANAL.

Well, Harper’s is a professional outfit and presumably would not let a parody be reported as fact.

It also doesn’t have a byline, which would be unusual if it were intended as parody.

I believe they bring potential jurors in one at a time to address concerns.

No one contested Harper’s transcripts, so it’s fairly safe to assume they were accurate.

If they weren’t the court or Shkreli would have contested it (especially Shkreli).

They feel like court proceedings in the verbiage used by the court.

Not usually, but this is how jury selection has always worked, it’s nothing special in regards to this case.

Thanks for the info and opinions.

I’m going to put this down as the most unbelievable jury selection I’ve ever seen then.

Jury selection tends to be a lot of craziness, we usually just don’t hear about it much.

Edit: Also keep in mind… these were New Yorkers.

Not in my experience. When I was up for jury duty, they had us all in the court room and just asked us stuff and dismissed folks.

I recall quite vividly watching one woman basically have a nervous breakdown when asked whether she could be fair. Seriously. Totally freaked out.

Another woman was like, “my husband’s a cop. But I could be fair. I should be on this jury.”

I guess it varies. When I was up, they questioned everybody one at a time.

Could be a state thing.

That was back in PA, the same as Timex I bet.

Yeah, I was in PA.

It’s possible that they eventually questioned folks one at a time, but initially they just marched like a hundred of us into the courtroom and started going through basic questions.

I had to travel for business when the trial would take place, so they let me off.

Wait, this maybe wasn’t satire?

Faith in humanity ++.

This guy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/business/wp/2017/09/13/martin-shkreli-apologizes-for-facebook-post-about-hillary-clinton/?utm_term=.4df3e83fc787

While awaiting sentencing, Shkreli has harassed women online, prosecutors argued, and even offered his Facebook followers $5,000 to grab a strand of Hillary Clinton’s hair during her book tour. Shkreli, who faces up to 20 years in prison, apologized saying that he did not expect anyone to take his online comments seriously.

“He does not need to apologize to me. He should have apologized to the government, the Secret Service, and Hillary Clinton,” said U.S. District Judge Kiyo Matsumoto, in revoking his bond.

“This is a solicitation of assault. That is not protected by the First Amendment.”

Shkreli was taken into custody immediately after the hour-long hearing. He did not visibly react though he appeared more nervous than when he entered court. He will remain jailed until his sentencing hearing, later this fall.

In NYC it was by groups as well.

I have never seen Jurors brought in individually for questioning, it was always done in a group setting (and has always been very entertaining). That’s just a sample set of 5 times over 20 years, but the cases ranged from murdering and abusing children aka ‘there is no way somebody hasn’t heard about this case’ to petty drug dealing.