Druidstone - Legend of Grimrock, isometric, tactics

I used a Forcefield to block the big guy for a turn, allowing the team to keep out of his range without getting iced.

Let me know if that isn’t helpful.

Thanks, I managed to do it once I 1) got useful stuff from the chests and spellbook, and 2) read the mouseover description of the undead monks.

A bit further in on that quest now. It sure has a lot of chapters.

According to the statistics dialog, there are 35 missions. I’m on number 27 now. I found the game got a bit easier once I hit level 6ish. I can usually hit all the optional objectives in the first run now.

Having a great time with it. Glad I picked it up.

This game sounds like it is pretty cool, as I think it is avoiding some of the pitfalls that make me tire of other games before I finish them. I like Divinity Original Sin 2, but too much inventory tedium. I like Bards Tale IV, but there is a lot of story / dialog and I don’t think either is well done. I do like Bards Tale IV combat and the puzzles though. BT IV also has too much inventory tedium.

Druidstone seems like it offers interesting combat, not a lot of inventory tedium , doesn’t get bogged down in tacked on crafting, doesn’t force a bad story /. voice acting on the player. Sounds pretty good.

It is good but IMHO there are a few issues.

Mostly UI.

When I click on my people, I’d like an overlay that shows possible movement.

I’ve had to restart a few fights because I moved my guys badly without realising it because I didn’t know I couldn’t shoot from the destination hex. Needed to be on hex different for line of sight.

Little niggles.

I’m still early in the game so don’t have all that many toys to use in missions, so my mission thus far have been figuring out the one actual solution.

I believe that as you level up and get more abilities the missions become more flexible

I think I am pretty far in. Most of the battles now feel more like puzzles with one given solution. To some extend this is tedious, but it doesn’t really hurt my enjoyment.

@BloodyBattleBrain You don’t get an overlay that shows the movement range of the selected unit? That’s odd, it does for me.

Also, you can “Undo Move” if you move somewhere and can’t do what you thought you could. Undo is not available after you switch characters or take a non movement action.

Edit: Uploaded a screenshot. The greenish range is the movement range of my selected unit and the yellow is the range of the enemy unit I have my cursor over.

I haven’t played in a week but I don’t remember seeing that…

BBB if I left click on a character it makes an overlay for movement in my game. I have some complaints but I like how you can switch to different characters for movement and combat 9as opposed to having a turn for each).

Trust me I get your frustration it is NOT easy game for sure.

One question…
Combat doesn’t rely on different damage types and enemy resistances to those damage types, does it? (like fire, air, acid, etc…) I’m getting kinda turned off to RPGs that require inventory juggling due to damage types.

No. There are few enemies that have cold/fire immunities, and undead can be damaged with heals, but that’s bout it. It is by no means a core mechanic.

Thanks. That doesn’t sound bad. I just hate having to equip / unequip items constantly to deal with that stuff.

You’ve played this and Tower of Time. Do the battles in Druidstone stay interesting for longer than they do in Tower of Time. I’m probably 40% through ToT and I feel like I’ve gotten what I need to out of it. ToT getting a bit repetitive. Thanks!

I’d probably say yes, just because of how Druidstone works. They are very different and I enjoyed them both.

I played the first two battles on hard - missed the optional objectives on the first and got them on the second. This seems more like what I’m looking for. The tactics of using the powers at the right times and positioning - not worrying about switching out equipment on 4 different characters to compensate for resistances. Also nice to have the flexibility of mixed movement and action points. So far the game made a nice impression.

I think I’ve played another 3 or 4 missions and the game is holding up. It can be pretty difficult on hard. I’m probably winning first try about half the time, but it is rare I get all of the optional objectives. For now I just move on to new missions.

The missions feel fairly different depending on objectives. Someone mentioned Gloomhaven above and I agree it has a similar feel even though it doesn’t share the same deck mechanics. I’m glad it’s holding up so far after being disappointed in my last several prior tactical RPGs.

After 7 combat missions I just had my first puzzle. It was a nice change of pace. Didn’t take too long but made me think just enough that it wasn’t just filler. Still liking this game a lot after 6+ hours.

I’ll be interested to hear how it goes in the later missions without getting the optional objectives done. I played it on normal and found some later missions pretty tough, and that was with getting the extra “power” from optionals done. I’m curious if you’ll hit a wall without having those extra skill points and item unlocks. I suppose going back to earlier missions with increased power is an option to.

That is my backup plan. I could drop it down to normal too, but I’d go for those additional objectives first.

Thanks to this thread reminding me that I wanted this game, I managed to pick it up on the last day of the Steam sale. I’ve been playing the last few days and have done about 17 missions so far. So, around halfway though, I guess.

I like it quite a bit despite the fact that the missions really are quite puzzle-like in nature. Playing on normal, I’ve managed to get all the bonus mission objectives so far though I had to replay some of the missions early on until I figured out how to play and got better equipment.

I usually don’t like tactical games that are puzzles all that much but this one is quite charming somehow.