DS - trying not to forget about it

It’s tough, what with Lumines and the whole damn sexiness of the PSP, but I’m trying not to forget that I also own a DS. The only games I have for it are Super Mario DS and Feel the Magic, which I bought with the system on day one and am now bored with.

What’s come out since then that will make me feel good about my DS? I’m tempted by WarioWare Touched, but have done a piss-poor job of keeping myself apprised otherwise…

Isn’t Egg Monster Heroes coming out this week?

Well, Zoo Keeper is a much more reasonable $19.99 now.

Egg Monster isn’t due until next month…

No killer app in the US yet. I like Yoshi’s Touch and Go quite a bit; it is a fun platformer with some interesting direct-manipulation twists. I think the game world is fairly rich and interesting, but has been getting lower scores because there’s not the typical game framework of levels and bosses. It works more like an arcade game where there are a number of modes, levels are generated semi-randomly, and the goal is to top your high score. That said, I’d say it is the best game in the US at the moment.

April has Pac-Pix and Polarium. Both have received moderate praise and are likely more of the “this is interesting but short” titles that the DS is wading in.

May has almost nothing, but Fire Emblem and Wario Ware Twisted! are coming out then. Certainly doesn’t make swallowing the $150 for the DS any easier, but at least you’ll have two of the best handheld games ever made to play on it.

June appears to be the month when the DS is worth owning with the Kirby game and Meteos both released then. The Kirby game is getting rave reviews from all I’ve seen. According to those who’ve played it, it is a full platformer and the game mechanics are exceptionally well suited to the stylus input. Meteos (the other game by Q entertainment, the team that made Lumines) is getting overall positive reviews as well.

-Scott-

There really aren’t that many current titles worth getting excited about on the DS, Gary. As Scott pointed out above, however, there are some really exciting things in its future.

I think the system won’t earn its keep until Metroid Prime: Hunters comes out. I’m also pretty excited about some of the strategy titles in development, like Age of Empires and Europa Universalis. In the meantime, I’ve mainly been using it for timed Zoo Keeper matches. I love that little game and according to GAF, it’s just gotten a price drop.

-Tom

When I first heard about the DS, there were three titles that I really wanted: Advance Wars, Wario Ware, and Animal Crossing.

(Imagine that. All franchises.)

Oh, and Nintendogs looks pretty cute. I’ll snag that and play it when nobody’s looking.

Now, several months into its life and head to head against the PSP…

I own Wario Ware (fun, but not as fresh and giddily exciting as the first one), there isn’t anything other than Advance Wars, Wario Ware, Animal Crossing, and Nintendogs that I want, and they’re all coming out in the fall.

Once again, Nintendo just doesn’t get it. I mean, I’m actually pumped that they’ve got something in the works with those Palm utilities, but that doesn’t change the fact that I haven’t even used up the first charge of my DS batteries (got it shortly after launch) and I fell asleep last night playing Wipeout on my PSP.

Don’t get me wrong - I want Nintendo to ‘get it’, and I want them to do well. I want a bunch of great titles to ship for the DS and I want there to be something every month or two that I just can’t wait to play.

But I think the PSP has soundly beaten the living snot out of the DS, and Nintendo better back up their assurances that the DS is not the next Game Boy and fire back with one hell of a new portable.

Otherwise I’m gonna get all Evil Avatar and say OMG NINTENDO IS TEH DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!

Oh, and Nintendogs looks pretty cute. I’ll snag that and play it when nobody’s looking.

As this commercial demonstrates, you are clearly a fag.

I’m not sure what Nintendo’s strategy is with the DS, but they’re not directly competing with the PSP in any meaningful way. They’re obviously courting the kiddie/fag market with cutesy titles.

But don’t forget that you can play your GBA carts on the DS. So technically, there are plenty of great games available, including recent greats like Racing Gears Advance (as good as any PSP racer!), Minish Cap, and even Lego Star Wars to go.

-Tom

Sometimes I wonder if you folks that write about game really get it.
It strikes me that Nintendo is clearly aiming at trying to open the market up and hit the casual gamer as well as potential female gamers. Nintendogs seems, to me, very much targeted at the same people that play things like The Sims, which unless I’m mistaken has done rather well in sales.

Nintendogs seems, to me, very much targeted at the same people that play things like The Sims, which unless I’m mistaken has done rather well in sales.

In case your post was directed at me, I’d like to make it clear that I, too, am a fag for Nintendogs and The Sims. I loved The Sims 2 – it was on my Top Ten of 2004 list – and will absolutely be picking up Nintendogs. However, like Sockpuppet, I will do it when no one is looking.

-Tom

It’s more a general feeling I have had lately when reading game journalism, but your post definately inspired mine.

I’ll be the Grand Marshal of the Nintendogs Pride Parade. Come on, Tom, it’s puppies! Guys have been using puppies to pick up chicks for years, only now you don’t have to deal with any actual dog poop! Nintendo just took the shit out of meeting girls.

Seriously… if you’re not going to take advantage of Nintendogs to pick up girls, you’re missing the whole point. Just turn up the volume so they can hear the cute barking, and they’ll come over and ask you what it is you’re doing. Tell them you’re lovingly raising a virtual dog from a puppy to an adult. This will show off your sensitive side. Then, have your puppy steal a car, and run over a hooker so that they know you’re also serious business. This will also stop Desslock from pushing you in a snowbank mid-flirt.

I was a Nintendo fag with Tom and all I got was this suspiciously stained t-shirt.

Yes because if there’s one group that women are magnetically attracted to it’s guys who have their heads buried in a handheld game system.

Wish there was a cat version, but I enjoy puppies as well. I, too, am a fag.

You guys aren’t fags - you’re little girls.
I’m getting Nintendogs for my daughter. It has nothing to do with me. I’ll probably never even touch the game. I’ll make sure she comes with me to buy it, of course, and then she can play it all the time. Except when she’s asleep or at school. Then I’ll keep it nearby so it’s safe for when she returns.
Yeah.
That’s my plan.
You bunch of little girls you.

When does Nintendogs come out? Not that I’m interested or anything. Because I’m not.

Look it’s better than any plan you’ve come up with. I’m trying to help people here, Gary. What are you gonna do, meet chicks by wearing a T-shirt that says “I started 9 WoW threads today”? Yeah that’s what I thought.

Look it’s better than any plan you’ve come up with. I’m trying to help people here, Gary. What are you gonna do, meet chicks by wearing a T-shirt that says “I started 9 WoW threads today”? Yeah that’s what I thought.[/quote]

SNAP

Look it’s better than any plan you’ve come up with. I’m trying to help people here, Gary. What are you gonna do, meet chicks by wearing a T-shirt that says “I started 9 WoW threads today”? Yeah that’s what I thought.[/quote]
I did see one in the Fossil store this weekend that said" “I know HTML - How To Meet Ladies.”