Dual Core Athlon 64s and Video Encoding

I am considering spending a huge amount of cash on a high end Athlon 64 X2 or whatever they’re called and the mobo to run it…

However, anyone actually know any good benchmark articles? I’d be using it for massive amounts of transcoding with Canopus Procoder, which supports multi-processor systems.

Perfect, thanks.

Isn’t video encoding the one area where Pentiums typically trump Athlons?

It’s actually the opposite. Going from a pentium 4 2.7 to an athlon 64 3200+ reduced my Xvid encoding time by 50%. It was a modest upgrade gaming wise, but a terrific upgrade for encoding tasks.

Used to be, yes. Not since 2002 or so.

I believe it depends on the encoder.

Windows Media encoder had Pentium optimizations, I believe, and Pentiums always smoked Athlons in our tests. (Admittedly, that was a couple of years ago, so things may have changed.)

Windows Media encoder had Pentium optimizations, I believe, and Pentiums always smoked Athlons in our tests. (Admittedly, that was a couple of years ago, so things may have changed.)

nope its still that way. I found a few reviews that have it just like that.

Nope! AMD pretty much kicks Intel’s ass on Windows Media Encoder with the dual-core part. Hyperthreading helped Intel a lot in the past, but with dual-core those days are over.

the dual-core Athlons basically whip Intel’s butt on every front. Seriously.

:shock: How was that not a major upgrade gaming-wise? Should have been really huge on virtually any game that pushes the CPU. Or are you video-card bound?

Nope you are right I was reading them wrong.

Damn, that X2 chip is sweet. Perhaps the price will drop by the holidays that I can justify upgrading to that. :D