Ducktales Woo-oo

I recently binged the first two seasons of this while recovering from surgery, and holy cow - it’s fantastic.

It’s got great jokes (and not just, like, “funny for a kids’ show” jokes - it’s legitimately funny, due to the strength of the cast and insanely clever writing). Each season has six or seven metaplots that all resolve neatly. I love how all of the characters are made distinct from their original 1987 selves. They’re all given lots of identity and backstory, and each character evolves in a fulfilling way over time. It’s great TV.

The various family dynamics form this beautiful emotional core. When a certain character “returns” in the middle of the second season, that’s a legitimate tearjerker moment that only works because you’ve followed everyone involved in the reunion and understand the emotional stakes. Just amazingly solid plotting and writing.

In some ways, the show reminds me of Community, and not just because of the Jim Rash/Danny Pudi/Paget Brewster voice acting. The show is self-aware and subversive, and it both appreciates the intellect of the audience and shows reverence to the original series.

Also, Flintheart Glomgold is the best character.

I’ve only watched the first two episodes of the third season, but I’m trying to track down a family member’s cable login so I can watch the rest. The series has officially concluded but likely won’t be on Disney+ for a little while.