Duke Nukem Forever to be released on May 3rd 2011

No, seriously. This game is just stale. It’s like drinking bad water. Or milk. It’s not epic-bad, not cult-classic-bad, it’s simply piss. It’s not even pure piss, it’s just plain piss. There’s nothing special about this piss. It’s ordinary. Go play Duke Nukem II or something instead if you want to play a Duke Nukem game.

I’ll bite when it hits $5. Won’t be long now.

But whyyyyyyyyyyy?

I buy lots of shit on steam when it hits $5 and never play it. It’s my “what the hell?” cutoff.

I’m going to make an ass of myself and assume you’re a smoker.
Think of all the packages you could’ve bought if you didn’t buy lots of shit. And all the money you could save here on after if you stopped today.

Surely you realize the futility of utilizing logic to explain away someone’s compulsive behavior.

twitch

Yup. ;)

Just to piss you off.

What he said!

I am curious and even though there’s a demo, I’d rather have the whole thing if I’m going to bother. Less than $5 is key, though. Its regular price is already down to $20, so as stusser said, it shouldn’t be long now.

A 7 year bump feels appropriate for DNF. Here’s 3DR co-founder, Scott Miller, discussing the game’s troubled development with IGN’s Ryan McCaffrey.

Great interview. Man… Duke Nukem 3D in hindsight was such a landmark game and if what they showed in that first incredible trailer had shipped the world of first person shooting might have been very different.

We’d all be playing Duke Nukem Battle Royale now.

The full interview’s up now, featuring some new details about Prey, Max Payne and some more Duke talk. One silver lining is that we might be getting a chance to play the stuff featured in the 2001 trailer relatively soon, as Gearbox are planning to re-release every Duke game in a collection, which will include the old, unfinished DNF builds.

I really really hope that comes out because I really want to play that 2001 Unreal build. It was mindblowing in its day and still looks cool today.

Today’s the tenth anniversary of Duke Nukem Forever’s release. For the longest time, it felt like this vaporware would never leave a few Dallas hard drives, but it did and now it’s mostly remembered as a bad FPS with a controversial development history.

A former 3DR dev who left the project to work at Valve shared these fun tidbits the other day that kinda get to the heart of how the game struggled to cohere into a shippable game.

Completely unnecessary features, like much of the unprecedented interactivity George B and co boasted about over the years, would find its way into the final game in various bastardised forms. I really hope someone does a proper oral history or doco on this one day. Back when I was a kid, I would’ve never guessed that one day Shadow Warrior would be the biggest Build-era franchise whilst Duke and Blood would be relegated to the dust bins of history.

Leaked footage of the 2001 build. It’s legit.

I wish Gearbox would give it to Night Dive and they would properly finish it up, add controller support etc like with all their classic remasters. I like that Unreal Tournament engine look and it would be cool to finally play this version. The trailer is a classic.

I would buy it in a heartbeat man. I just hope this thing actually makes it out next month, which is what the leaker claims is the plan. I fear that 2K and Gearbox’s lawyers might make that unlikely.

The leaker seems adamant that even with the announcement, they’ve covered their tracks well enough to release it without blowback next month.

George B says its legit, but is at pains to stress that it’s not a full game.

I love how the menu UI are Duke’s sunglasses.

Motorcycle footage:

Arsenal:

The leaker even posted DNF’s shader because they’re still having trouble with hair transparency and were wary about reaching out to the Unreal community before this was announced: Direct3D8.cpp - Pastebin.com

Why do you think Night Dive would be more qualified to finish it up than Gearbox? The only thing Night Dive has proven themselves capable at so far is repackaging already-complete games. The 2001 build of Duke is apparently VERY far from complete.